Bromeliad Forum
October 20, 2017, 10:47:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcantarea Blockii  (Read 566 times)
rayy

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: bromeliads,cordylions
Hobbies: birdwatching

« on: May 17, 2014, 05:00:43 »

Hi Everybody, Hope all well and broms going well. I am wondering if someone can give me a bit of information on  an Alcantarea that was kindly given to us as Blockii? can not find it on internet sites so any information would be much appreciated. Thanks Ray
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 00:20:26 »

Hi Ray - I've forwarded your question onto a friend of mine who is quite an authority on Alcantareas in the hope he may be able to shed some light on your question. I'll post what I find out when I get it.

All the best, Nev.
rayy

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: bromeliads,cordylions
Hobbies: birdwatching

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 00:36:39 »

Hi Nev,Thanks for answering.I should have looked a little harder as the name has been changed to simply Blok.  as on the cultivar register.Thanks to anyone else who may have been going to help out as well.  Ray
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:28:21 »

Hi Ray. It would be nice to see a picture of the pant preferably in flower. But as with many an Alcantareas you might have to wait a while. As a Horticulturist i often name certain plants in their location in a nursery, especially those who are not identified. for example: "Aechmea block A". This might be the case in your situation. There is no Alcantarea with such a name in the botanical Taxon list or ever was. It also might be an unregistered hybrid....that would make it even more interesting.

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 20:59:03 »

Hi Conrad - Look at the BCR under the listing of Alc.'Blok' and all will be revealed including pictures.

All the best, Nev.
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 17:24:59 »

Wow ! Thanks Nev. I have to change religion now. For years I have been following the gospel according to the FCBS. I have used that listing for all my records on species and cultivars. For the past 6 years I have been collecting the complete species listings and photos and any other information on the species and cultivars. As I started a A and worked through the alphabet, my information is very dated on the beginning letters of the family. Thanks for the reminder and redirection.

And yes there it is Alcantarea 'Blok'... So I will have to redo all my cultivar lists....Thanks a lot Nev!

Best wishes,

Conrad
splinter1804

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 23:36:59 »

Hi everyone,

Conrad - Don't give up on the FCBS listing just yet; I my opinion it's still a wealth of information as it has a comprehensive listing of species which the BCR doesn't have as it is only a cultivar listing.

As I understand it, a few years back before the BCR published a Photo index, whenever plants were registered with the BCR, the photos were then sent onto the FCBS to go on their Photo Index of cultivars. Whether it was political or what ever I don't know nor do I care, all I know is this doesn't happen any more and the only way new registrations will get onto the FCBS Photo Index is if the growers send in the pic's themselves.

Any other members feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The bottom line is that both of these sites are chock-a-block with useful information and pictures and are tools no brom grower should be without.....In my opinion, they are the the "Brom Grower's Bibles".

All the best, Nev.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: