Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 01:59:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange O. harleyi  (Read 919 times)

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« on: March 17, 2014, 23:22:59 »

This is very interesting...

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

This is what it should look like:

Please register or login

Of course, the most interesting Orthpytum I have right now is this albopictum (Tropiflora)

Please register or login

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
chefofthebush

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: orchids, tropicals, ferns, palms,
Hobbies: Almost Everything!

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:46:36 »

Typical growth from Roundup herbicide effect, especially in low dosages. I used to get that a lot on roses and some trees grown near potato fields where aerial spraying was done with this herbicide.

It does look interesting!

Conrad
gonzer

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 13:25:02 »

I'd have to say it's a form of cristation.

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 14:37:38 »

Gonzer, I'd say your spot on. Had to look up Cristation, aka Fasciation, but it does fit well.

I did repot it recently and may have put a little pressure on the inflorescence which was just starting.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 19:57:59 »

That is a cool crest!  Would have been really interesting if that species was one of the viviparous species to see what it would do.  I doubt it will carry one, but keep an eye on the pups from that one.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 00:24:24 »

It does self with some help. I was able to grow several from seed but I can't say I want to do it again. One seedling looks to be a hybrid, just a bit too early to be sure.

sdandy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:03:05 »

Oh, I was just talking about the pups to see if they would crest as well.  Or if it would happen to give pups on the inflorescence, how they would develop--whether they would actually form a rosette or just keep cresting.  I'm having fun growing Orthos from seed.  Once the get going, they grow pretty fast.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 20:29:29 »

Same here, Orthophytum seedlings are very easy to grow. I have not tried albopictum or burle-marxii yet. It would be great if they do well. I have two year old burle-marxii pollen frozen and will put it on the albopictum. Is that going to work, or will it just self or ignore it? I also have a burle-marxii a few weeks behind and can freeze pollen and cross that way too. I might have to try some Bromelia pollen too.

Haven't heard anything from Lisa after her albopictum report, but I guess no news is bad news.

sdandy

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 20:45:17 »

Ugh, Bromelia pollen?  You have a strange mind!  But of course I would be greatly interested in seeing the results from that.  I have been trying odd Orthophytum crosses (both intra- and intergeneric), but it looks like I have not been very successful.  Of course I have only been playing with the peduncled group of the genus.

Personally, I would try both self-pollination and crosses with the O. albopictum.  It still seems like it is in relatively short supply.  The crosses would make me nervous as I just imagine people losing the tags and having some 'in-betweens' to muddle us up when trying to figure out what is in cultivation.  But I would love to see more things like that in cultivation.  I really love these sessile guys.  So far I have been moderately successful with them (well, no losses yet, so I guess I should say successful).  I have only had my mystery/doubtable O. Andrea bloom so far.  There is a dissertation that looks like it has re-divided the genus, putting the sessile species back into their own genus, Sicoraea.  But it hasn't been published in a journal, so it might take a while to be formally divided.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: