Bromeliad Forum
September 25, 2017, 22:42:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colombian Pitcairnia, yet-to-be-named  (Read 646 times)
Scottinsandiego

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Bananas, veg, ginger, heliconia
Hobbies: Travel !

« on: October 05, 2013, 23:27:14 »

Here is a Pitcairnia I recently saw in Colombia (two weeks ago).  In wet cloud forest Cordilla Central, Cauca district, at approximately 2,000 meters. (Beautiful there!)

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Eric Gouda at FloraPix says it may not be named yet: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/tropical/?gal=brom&id=11122

Has anyone else seen it, or does anyone know about it?
Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:14:00 »

Hi Scott

We saw it growing up on the ridge along the San Jose del Palmar Rd in 2011 and 2012 with Emilio. Those black flowers are nice. Harry thought it was something new but without herbarium material it will remain undescribed for the time being. I know at least one taxonomist has all the details and is keen to get to that particular locality. I brought seed back and germinated it but some extreme heat killed them off as they don't like temps in the high 30s.

cheers Bruce
Scottinsandiego

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 20:32:34 »

Hey Bruce,

When you were up there with Emilio, did you guys hike the really wet trail off the San Jose del Palmar road that started at an abandoned school site that was totally over-grown?  We saw lots of stuff along different parts of the road, but on the trail, the diversity was incredible.

Interestingly, this past week, Guillermo Rivera gave a slideshow at our brom society meeting on his preparatory travels in Colombia - only a month after our trip.

If you go back, I can recommend an awesome horseback trip along the Rio Magdalena to its source in the  Purace paramo.  I have the contact info. for a guy with strong horses that can muscle up the mountainsides.  It was awesome, thorough a lot of undeveloped and hardly seen cloud forest.  Saw some cool Pitcairnia trianae with flowers greener than others 8 have seen on the web; also numerous Guzmanias, a Werauhia or two, and wet Tillandsias.

Scott
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:38:57 »

Hi Scott

We did that trail, but we were fixated on Heliconia intermedia a sp. that sends its inflo out of the pseudostem about halfway up. Unfortunately we found none. That area is so rich and I am keen to go back and do more around that area.

I had my horse riding action in Panama this year so am happy to retire gracefully for the moment. I've written an article that should get published maybe next year in the BSI.

cheers Bruce 
Scottinsandiego

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 04:38:47 »

Cool, in the Darien, right?  If it is safe now and navigatable, it's going on my bucket list.  We went to Panama about 8 years ago and enjoyed hiking the Sendero de la Quetzales, but didn't see one single freggin quetzal!  We also liked Isla Bastiamento, where we saw this giant Werauhia growing directly over the surf....

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Hope to see another BSI article soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: