Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:14:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billbergia viridiflora selfer?  (Read 764 times)

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« on: August 26, 2013, 15:34:01 »

I got three ripe seed berries on my Billbergia viridiflora. I plucked one and it had a nice cache of seeds which I sowed last weekend. Has anybody played around viridiflora seeds?

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:21:24 by 378 » Logged

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 21:54:09 »

It's been a long time since I had one, but I seem to recall it being a selfer.  According to Don Beadle, it's kind of a peripheral Bill.  It doesn't fit into either the billbergioid or helicoid groups, and was almost classified as an Aechmea (close to Ae. filicaulis and lasseri). 

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:15:20 »

Genetically it looks to be closer to the two Ursulaea and the Podaechmeas in the last paper that I saw.  Has it been mentioned in any recent research that anyone else has seen?  When I finally saw one in someone's collection it sure makes sense to me.  It 'feels' a lot like an Ursulaea to me.  Definitely a plant that I am looking for.  Any chance of spare seed?  Are you by chance traveling up to the Extravaganza?

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 03:43:53 »

Plenty of seed, I'm only growing a few just to see what happens.

I wasn't planning on going to the extravaganza, I don't appreciate their scheduling the event while school is in progress, not to mention at the height of hurricane season.

Sponsored by the Florida Council of Bromeliad Societies Hosted by the Florida West Coast Bromeliad Society Saturday, September 21, 2013 Holiday Inn Harborside 401 2nd St, Indian Rocks Beach 33785 727.595.9484 Free Parking Free WiFi Open to the Public Free Entrance to Exhibition and Sales Area Meet and Greet for Early Arrivals Plant Sales Seminars

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
sdandy

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:38:54 »

Cool.  Yeah, this will be my first extravaganza and I'd like to network a bit more with FL people...and shop now that I am working again and have a bit more of a budget to buy some plants!  I don't think I've seen the full speakers list, but I can't say that I'm too excited about that.  Oh, plus I will get my first chance to go poke around at Selby.  I'll be bringing some presents for Bruce and digging through their Hechtia collections.  I've had a couple of chances to check out the Huntington's collection (which is really fantastic as one would expect) but I am quite curious to see some of the Utley vouchered plants at Selby that probably aren't in the botanical gardens out here.  Still on the list is to make it down to south FL.  I imagine the collections are pretty good down there?  Are there significant botanical gardens in addition to Montgomery?

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 19:26:08 »

I've never been to Selby or Montgomery but I have been to Huntington. You should contact Ray Lemioux at Tropiflora and see if he'll give you a tour of their terrestrial collection, it's pretty good.

sdandy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 05:22:58 »

Yeah, I had the chance to hang out with both Ray and Brian going through Tropiflora after the WBC.  I'll only have another half a day there this trip.  I didn't get to go through their Tillandsias last time, so that is required on this trip, and then I'll probably bug Ray with the terrestrials again.  This trip is going to be a lot more relaxed and casual so hopefully I will be able to get a lot done!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: