Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:17:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yellow offset of B Louise  (Read 805 times)
Mike W

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti and Succulents

« on: July 24, 2013, 06:35:05 »

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
Please
register or login
Hi

THis unlabeled variegated plant bloomed and it seems to be B Louise.  Now the offset is coming in almost completely yellow, with only one green line on some leaves.  
1.  do you agree it is Louise?
2 I was curious how unusual that a yellow offset is?  Is there already a cultivar name for it?
3 Can I assume it wound/t live on its own if I detached it - that is typical of Haworthias I have.  

thanks Mike

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:41:50 by Mike W » Logged
Avane

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Hibiscus, Orchids, Cycads, Cliveas . . .
Hobbies: Painting, cooking, sewing . . .

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:32:39 »

Hi Mike

I am not an expert on the Bills but the B Louise I have got, looks juts like yours.  AND it is throwing pups in the whole range of totally Novars, nicely variegated to totally albino.  I just leave my plant growing in a clump then the white ones do survive and gives and interesting look to the whole clump.  Every now and then I tidy up the clumps by removing all the novars and albino's but the moment they start pupping, those others start popping up again.

Japie

Please register or login
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 20:48:32 »

I bought Bills tagged as both Louise and Perriam's Pride, thinking that one was marginated and the other (mediopicta) variegated, and that those patterns would remain stable.  Both of them proved unstable and threw a wide variety of pups, including many that looked like the other "clone", as well as some complete albinos and novars.  I've heard others say that their PP is stable, but mine wasn't, and I came to the conclusion that it was the same plant as Louise, just in a different phase at the time of purchase.  Maybe my PP was tagged incorrectly, but as Japie points out, Louise can be all over the map when it comes to pups.

This type of behavior in variegates is not uncommon at all, in fact most variegated seedlings start out extremely variable and may require a fair amount of time and concerted effort to become stabilized.  Some never do stabilize.  For this reason, I don't favor giving new cultivar names to every pup that comes out different from the mother plant.  If the parent cv. has been stable for several generations, and the sport pup is distinctly different and continues to propagate true over a similar period of time, then giving it its own name seems warranted.  Otherwise you'd be renaming every pup that comes out, and that only confuses things.  

And yes, I wouldn't try to propagate a pup with little or no chlorophyll.  Its days apart from mother are numbered.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 20:50:51 by Lisa » Logged

Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Mike W

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti and Succulents

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 22:11:39 »

Thanks much for both your responses!  I will be interested to see how mine pups out, as well as a number of other similar variegated ones I have.

Lisa, I am curious, do you have one that is only variegated as a picta.  I have some Bills that have lines, but are still marginated.  FCSB shows them all as marginated!
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:09:18 »

Hi everyone - I had a similar thing happen to my Bill. Ralph Graham French; every time it pups the pups are different.

all the best, Nev.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: