Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 02:01:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter Surprise  (Read 1267 times)
Lisa
Global Moderator

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« on: March 31, 2013, 00:52:38 »

This Neo. Sunday Picnic finished blooming months ago.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Or did it?  What's that in the leaf axil?

Please register or login

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Please register or login

Please register or login
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:29:06 »

Wow what a supprise. 2 for the price of one
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 04:04:14 »

Peek-a-boo!  If that was a pup stimulated to flower early, it must have been very early indeed!

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

gonzer

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 13:05:29 »

Reminds me of bird chicks waiting for Mom to deliver supper.

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 05:20:24 »

Very unusual!

Weird that this has occured on a normal looking plant...but even weirder that the leaf axil growth is flowering well after the original. You'd think that if this was to occur, then both flower heads would be somewhat in sync?

Please register or login
Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 20:36:21 »

Reminds me of bird chicks waiting for Mom to deliver supper.

Neo. blooms always remind me of that, gonz.  That's why I have such a hard time passing one of the little open mouths without dropping some pollen in there!   Roll Eyes

It seems that Sunday Picnic may be prone to more than one kind of funny business in the leaf axils.  I came across this 5 year old photo of it pupping oddly. 

Please register or login

Please register or login
Avane

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Hibiscus, Orchids, Cycads, Cliveas . . .
Hobbies: Painting, cooking, sewing . . .

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 22:37:30 »

Very interresting Lisa.  I know broms can do weird - and wonderful - things.  Almost like some branched Neo inflo's we have seen where there were two or three heads squeezed together in the cup.  May this one decided to come out of a leaf axil instead. When, next time you walk past that plant, could you perhaps check and see if there are signs of a pup that started to develop but immediately started to flower or is it just an inflo that formed?

And about weird things, I also found something interresting today.  My Neo Chardonnay has never flowered since I got it about 7 years ago.  It did give me the occasional pup though and by this time, it has form a short stalk allready.  Today I saw there was another pup big enough to remove and decided to remove it - still no sign of a flower.  But the pup is flowering!!! And like Andrew said, wierd that they were not flowering together.

Neo Chardonnay (grown in a bit too much shade to show its colour that inspired the name!)
Please register or login

And with the pup and the stalk visible:
Please register or login

And the pup busy flowering:
Please register or login

Japie

Please register or login
Hunter

Other Plants I Grow: Neoregelias, Aechmeas, Billbergias, Tillandsias
Hobbies: Fly fishing, Hunting, Scuba Diving

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 19:14:33 »

Hi to all,
I have had this happen as well to a N. Catherine Wilson, especially the emerging pups that flower on the mother. I put it down to
'a bit" of over feeding. Sure is most strange.
Cheers Trevor
Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 19:38:56 »

When, next time you walk past that plant, could you perhaps check and see if there are signs of a pup that started to develop but immediately started to flower or is it just an inflo that formed?

Nothing very pup-like, Japie, although there are some scape bracts with a bit of coloration.  I dunno.  You be the judge.

Please register or login

Please register or login
Avane

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Hibiscus, Orchids, Cycads, Cliveas . . .
Hobbies: Painting, cooking, sewing . . .

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 22:50:16 »

Thanks for the picture Lisa.  It does look just like a normal inflorescence to me.  Now that triggers some thoughts.  If you have a variegated plant that you want to pollinate and the leaf markings are very variable but there are one or two leaves on the plant with the perfectly fine striation and the right leaf edges, and you want to make sure that you get the perfectly striated sepalled flowers, would that not work if drop some floral into just that one leaf axil in stead of in the cup.  Maybe it is a stupid question as I have never worked with floral and do not know how it is affecting the plant and if it could be absorbed into just that one section of the plant or does it have an effect on the entire plant.  Maybe worth trying if you have that special plant that you need to breed with and the sepals on the flower came out all green.  Or would floral not have any affect if it is applied after the plant has flowered normally?

Japie

Please register or login
Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 01:15:26 »

Interesting train of thought, Japie.  I assume you're talking about Florel*.  Logically, it shouldn't work that way.  Ethylene producers like Florel and Ethrel affect only the meristems, regardless of where you spray it.  The instructions actually say to coat the entire plant lightly, nothing about putting it in the cup.  I only started spraying it into the cup after a friend told me she pours it in there instead of spraying, and it works just as well.  My hope was that concentrating it where I wanted it to work might help eliminate premature die-back of any damaged foliage, as well as unwanted blooming of undeveloped pups. The results have been mixed.  Sometimes only the one I want produces a bloom, other times every single growing point will make some sort of inflorescence, although if the pup is really small, the inflo is usually pretty small too.  It might consist of only a few flowers.  I find it's best to avoid using it at all if there's a young pup forming, although with something like a clump of minis, that's pretty hard to do. 

I've never seen a bloom forced into being anywhere where there is no meristem.  As I say, logically, that shouldn't happen.  However, logically, the one above shouldn't have happened either.  Go figure.   Huh

Now, given the scenario you describe-- if, after blooming, a pup starts to form in a leaf axil that looks more promising than what was going on in the cup, conceivably you could Florel that pup and get a better chance at transmission than you did with the original bloom.  I generally prefer to wait until a pup is mature before treating it.  You'll get a bigger, stronger inflorescence that way.  Of course you also run the risk that it may loose the striation you're looking for, so it might be worth experimenting with. 

*accent is on the second syllable, like Braz-el (okay, let's not go there) or Superman's father Jor-el.   Cool 

Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: