Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:17:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nutans-like, but solid blue petals  (Read 473 times)
Mike W

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti and Succulents

« on: March 04, 2013, 19:37:55 »

Hi

Another unlabelled one, as it opened I thought it was going to be yet another nutans or Windii.  BUt the petals are all blue. 

Is B vittata the only blue petalled species.  SInce it looked a lot like nutans, and had blue flowers, I checked the crosses of nutans and vittata, and came up with
Bill. Leodienensis.  Is anyone familar with that.  Pic on FCBS of Leodiensis looks pretty close to me. 

thanks MIke 
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 00:31:22 »

Your conclusions about the parentage seem reasonable to me, Mike, and I can see the resemblance to the photos of Leodiensis.  The only problem is that there were apparently a number of different names given to the same cross.  They all date back over 100 years, and I was unable to come to any conclusions about which it might be from the documents provided on the BCR.  Leodiensis is the only one that has a photo, so I'm not sure if the intent was to sink all of the synonyms under that name or not.  You might have to contact Geoff L. or Derek B. for clarification. 

http://registry.bsi.org/?genus=BILLBERGIA&id=953

Please register or login
Premium Advert
Mike W

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti and Succulents

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:34:03 »

Thanks Lisa,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I thought I checked every day for awhile , but obviously I missed something.

One follow-up if I may.  You indicated you saw the "resemblance" to Leo.....   To me it looks almost the same, so I wondered if I am still not really discerning some important differences when comparing plants.  Is there something (s) you noticed different. 

Re the different brother - sisters. I fear that without owning all of them, it would be impossible to tell.  Photos, growing conditions etc all differ so much.  Often photos of thesame cultivar on FSBS look different to me.  I guess if I ever sold one or gave one away, I should note it is B leo.. (possible ID), or is there a more appropriate way to label it. 

For that matter, if there were no known brother-sisters, and I thought mine was exactly the same as the Leo photos, I would think I should still label it "Leodiensis?"
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: