Bromeliad Forum
September 23, 2017, 21:58:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Been to Venezuela?  (Read 514 times)
Scottinsandiego

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Bananas, veg, ginger, heliconia
Hobbies: Travel !

« on: March 01, 2013, 16:02:02 »

Hi all,

Has anyone on the forum been trekking in Venezuela?  I am planning a trip to either Venezuela or Columbia -- or to Brazil.  Ok, I haven't nailed anything down, but I've browsed the book Bromeliaceaes of Venezuela by Francisco Oliva Estava, which intrigued me.

Any tips on places to go?  In Venezuela, I'm looking for accessible (if just barely) cloudforests and mountainous locations, as opposed to the lowland habitats in the extreme south.

Thanks, in advance.

Scott
gonzer

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 00:11:59 »

Scott I've got a friend down in Venezuela who, last time we yapped, said it's not a pretty situation going on down there. (politically)

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
Premium Advert
Scottinsandiego

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:39:07 »

I think that's right.  It is in a state of flux politically.  And the government supports the FARC drug runners who run rampant in western Venezuela (even more than in Columbia some say).  Still, I wonder if there are plenty of other areas safe enough to visit.  I am hoping to sneak in a trip before Chavez bites the big one and leaves a dangerous power vacuum.  Having said this, we've gotten by in Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, Egypt...  I definitely WILL NOT go back to Zimbabwe for a while, though.  Maybe Columbia or Brazil.  But Brazil has some crazy crime, too.  Gotta watch those favelas there.  Geez, maybe I'll just be careful and go wherever.  Thanks for the heads-up.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:03:47 »

Scott 

Venezuela is OK if you travel with a local. Just stay out of Caracas. There are some good mountainous areas that you can get to without too many dramas. If you want I can contact a friend from the Heliconia Society who lives there. I think getting to the Tuepis is expensive though. Colombia is getting better but I'd still be travelling with a local to be sure. The most dangerous place in Brazil is the tourist areas in Rio, better to be out in the bush with just the native fauna.

cheers Bruce
Scottinsandiego

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 03:55:36 »

Thanks for the info.  I'm still in the research phase.  Specifically, i'd like to go to Canaima National Park and Angel Falls (where there are the tepuis that remain from when So. American and Africa were still joined).  Otherwise, I'd be happy in any of the cloud forests with countless wet broms and other epiphtyes.  It would be cool to organize a bromeliad trip of 2 weeks or so.  I will check back when I am more certain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: