Bromeliad Forum
January 24, 2018, 00:44:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deuterocohnia lorentziana  (Read 415 times)
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« on: January 27, 2013, 18:16:37 »

I really love the little Deuts.  As I am waiting to see what my own seedlings turn out like, I figured I would share some of the different clones I have.  Most of these are different clones of Deuterocohnia lorentziana.  I have three distinct clones of the green form and 6 different clones of the silver form.  The first one is by far my favorite.  It is absolutely tiny and has an interesting growth habit.  I call it De. lorentziana TS clone and use it as a size reference with the other plants.  I tossed in one picture of it with Deuterocohnia brevifolia to show that the rosette is on the same size scale...but wildly different.  I can't wait to get the opportunity to see some of these guys in habitat (and hopefully get some seed!).

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Here the De. lorentziana TS and brevifolia

Please register or login

With what I consider the 'normal' green

Please register or login

With what is the largest green form I have (GG clone)

Please register or login

Please register or login

A typical clone of silver form from Huntington Gardens

Please register or login

Slightly longer leaf silver form

Please register or login

And with the largest silver clone I have

Please register or login

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:30:02 »

It's hard to believe that spineless, tiny thing is the same species as the others.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Premium Advert
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 20:29:44 »

Very cool little deuts there Andy! That TS clone is the pick of the bunch  Shocked where did you get that one?

How do you know they're all lorentziana clones? That TS clone looks more like a silver form of brevifolia  Huh

Not that I'm questioning your ID's...I really have no clue, and have enough issues with my lotteae / lorentziana confusion  Tongue Just interested in your ID basis.

Cheers, Andrew.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 23:54:22 by Devo » Logged

Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

sdandy

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 22:37:19 »

It is speculation that it is lorentziana, but it has that 'feel' to me.  The silver forms of lorentziana have the very 'triangular' leaves...they usually are just longer.  The edges are just so 'straight' with 'sharp edges'.  Ugh, I hate trying to describe things like that!  Also quite a few of the larger silver forms can lean toward that spineless character trait.  Admittedly that is an overall weak argument, but a gut reaction thing...

That is one of the reasons I would really like to see these plants in habitat.  So I would be able to see if the silver/green forms are from different areas, intermixed, have gradations, etc.  Without having that field knowledge it is a fairly useless discussion.  No doubt all of the populations are variable in size, but subtle things like leaf shape, spines, and color sometimes can have clear geographical boundaries...or not.  My assumption is that the genus has been very poorly studied from an overall standpoint.  And I hate feeling blind by only using cultivated plants to draw conclusions.

What do you guys think are the chances I could convince the BSI to fund some studies like these... Tongue

sdandy

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 23:12:53 »

Oh, and if they are grown with a little bit of protection all of the silver clones tend to be a little more 'white'.  Plus my larger forms were all wet from the rain so the trichomes are not as bright as usual.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: