Bromeliad Forum
January 24, 2018, 00:41:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deuterocohnia lotteae  (Read 595 times)
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« on: December 26, 2012, 00:18:39 »

I love this species!  Has yours bloomed yet Devo?  The leaves don't look the same as what I've seen around here.  The leaves and spines are distinctive and way different when comparing to De. lorentziana and brevifolia.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 21:37:40 »

Great photo Andy!

Has yours bloomed yet Devo?

Well...yes & no  Huh

I've been waiting for years for my lotteae to burst into flower with a profusion of red! So far, no joy. But this spring I did see one, yes just one tiny flower...it didn't even extend from the rosette, nor did it show the extended pistil as your pic does. All I could see was a ring of green petals...so I thought, oh no! This must be lorentziana  Cry
But looking at your pic, the flowers do have a green tip, so I guess it'll have to wait until next spring...and hope for a better flowering display!

I really can't see a distinctive different between my so called lotteae, & my lorentziana's. Here's a pic with lotteae on the right, lorentziana silver top left & a seed grown clump of lorentziana green between. (Note the seed grown lorentizana green has been grown under plastic until now, while the others have been out in full sun).

Please register or login

A little while ago I called into the nursery where I got my original lotteae. They had a couple sitting in the bargin bin, obviously very neglected...so I purchased one. This pic was taken when I got the new addition home...interesting to see the difference in leaf size, shape with the new addition looking like a different form altogether! But they were in fact originally from the same batch of plants.

Please register or login

Cheers, Andrew.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 21:47:16 by Devo » Logged

Please register or login
Premium Advert
sdandy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 00:09:41 »

Interesting!  To me those labeled as De. lotteae look like lorentziana.  And if you wouldn't have told me, I would have guessed that the green one on the bottom left of the other picture was the De. lotteae.  The clone that we have here looks more like a 'bigger' Deuterocohnia plant.  Wider leaf proportions with actual spines that hook rather than just the little fricken needles that the other small clumpers have as spines.  They also look more 'succulent' and rounded (hard to describe what I mean...).  But, like you can see in the two clumps of the same clone that you got from the nursery, they can change quite a bit.

The same clone that I have planted in full sun in the ground can have rosettes up to 5" or slightly larger whereas most of them are in the 2-3" range.  Here are some more shots of it.  I will have to keep digging for pictures that really show the larger rosettes with larger, hooked spines...

I was able to do some crosses with Hechtias and this plant this year.  Both ways.  Shall be interesting to see what they turn into...

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

sdandy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 02:00:13 »

Hey Andrew, here is a slightly better picture that shows the character of the rosettes a little better.

Please register or login

Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:38:50 »

Those spines do look different to my lotteae, & at 2" plus, that's bigger than mine.
So in size order, smallest to largest in these clumping deuts, would it be brevifolia, lorentziana, then lotteae?

Do you see any difference in flowering between those potted & those planted in the ground?

Please register or login
sdandy

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 16:46:17 »

Yeah, that is the size order.  But I also have some lorentziana that seem to be much larger than normal too.  But they have 'sharper looking' leaves.  Narrow and not as succulent/round (in cross section).  But there is a lot of size overlap between lorentziana and lotteae.  I'll try to take some more pictures for comparison today...but might take a while to process them and post them with the other stuff going on today.

The De. lotteae that I saw that was up to ~5-6" across was the same clone as mine, but in the ground in full sun.  A clump of the same clone right next to it was the size of lorentziana (in just a little bit of shade).  They seem to usually be on the smaller/lorentziana size range, but can be bigger (even in the same clump).

I only saw the big clumps in the ground once and they were not flowering at the time.  The ones in the pots seem to flower pretty regularly.  I just put a small clump in the ground last year so we will see if they behave any differently.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: