Bromeliad Forum
September 26, 2017, 02:12:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neo. farinosa  (Read 405 times)
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« on: December 22, 2012, 01:19:33 »

Lisa, here is my plant I have tagged as Neo. farinosa. The inflo seemed overly large when I got it (just post flowering) and as you can see undersides of the leaves has some silvery scurf.

Looking at the description of farinosa and pics on FCBS, you are correct, farinosa's sepals should be greenish, so I think mine has to be some sort of hybrid ? The inflo and scurf does have that "species" look about it though, and I've never seen any other hybrid around here the same as this...so it has me a bit stumped really Huh

Anyone else recognise this plant ?

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
Lisa
Global Moderator

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 05:05:30 »

Hmm...... I'm not sure what the heck you've got there, Graeme.  It does have that species look about it, and certainly has the scurf.  Those red sepals are unusual, though, more like something you'd see in compacta or Macwilliamsii. 

I'm not totally sure about my plant either.  It came tagged as roseo-striata or roseo-lineata, not farinosa.  In fact I bought two different plants tagged as such from different growers on a trip to California.  One was glossier with narrower leaves and bolder stripes, which I figured was a hybrid and gave away.  Mine looked more species-y to me, but unfortunately the red stripes seem to come and go on it.  You can't see them at all in this picture, and oddly enough it looks more glossy here than it does to the eye.  The flowers are pretty distinct from carolinae, and you can see the reddish-brownish-greenish sepals.  It doesn't match Uncle D's photo of farinosa either, but I don't know how much variation there is in the species. 

Please register or login

Please register or login
Premium Advert
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:23:17 »

I have 2 plants tagged as farinosa (?) Both were purchased from collections with no firm ID, and they're different to your plant Graeme.

The first is some 60cm in diameter, & I tagged it as farinosa as it looks like the plant pictured in Andrew Steens book, "Bromeliads for the Contemporary Garden" p114. Andrew says the plant was in NZ collections originally as Neo. pineliana, but it's most likely farinosa.

Please register or login

The second looks just the same, except it only grows to half the size of the first type.
This one is a bit beat up, I just pulled it out of the garden to take a pic, & as luck would have it...its about to flower.

Please register or login

Cheers, Andrew.

Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: