Bromeliad Forum
October 21, 2017, 05:01:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold hardiness of A chantini hybrids  (Read 2026 times)
Mike W

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti and Succulents

« on: December 19, 2012, 20:07:20 »

Hi

I know A chantini doesn't like it under 55 - I had one melt last year.  I have some hybrids and cultivars of A chantini, and wondered if that was true for them also.  It rarely gets under 45 here (that is about 8C). 
THese are ones I have

Chantini Surprise
Little Harv
Chocolate  - this is Black chantini X tessmannii
Echidna
fendleri x chantini
Harvey's Pride

Unrelated question
1.   This is the first one I have where it offset and mama died.  Has been like this for a few months, I fnally removed the leaves today, but the inflorescnce remains and base.  What do most folks do - cut off offsets or wait til the rest disintegrates? You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login
2.  What about the rotting Neo inflorescence - after a while it becomes quite putrid and you can pull it off - is that what most folks do?

thank you , Mike
cbirdso

Other Plants I Grow: caudiciforms

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 03:53:45 »

Mike,
I grow most of these hybrids and they also do not like the cold.  45 should not be too bad if not for a long time but they will not keep growing and may show some damage.
1. If you want a multiple in the pot just cut out the old plant and bloom off at the soil line.  If not then cut them off and pot them up separately.  It is usually best to repot in the center of the pot so that they do not fall over when you water as they grow larger.
2. When the old inflorescence starts to get 'ripe' I take a pair of scissors and open them slightly push into the inflorescence and twist.  The whole thing will come out and I rinse and wait for the pups without the smell and rot.
Charlie
Premium Advert

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 04:35:38 »

I grow Pink Surprise but I always bring it in if it is going to get below 40. That's a favorite of mine and I have a few bigeneric crosses from it.

Little Harv can take a short spell of 34F and not show any damage. I have the weak variegated version growing in a tree and it gets no cold weather support.

I have Chocolate and it doesn't like me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I am doing something wrong. I also have trouble growing chantinii 'Black' so that makes sense.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 23:17:26 »

I think the hardiness of chantinii is a question of how long the low temps are for. At our place we get temps down to 3c. To get to 3 means it is a clear low humidity night which means it will quickly warm up to over 20c during the day. If it is a cloudy night it won't drop much below 12c but warm up if it remains cloudy to about 18c.
As a consequence we can grow all the chantinii types out in the garden without protection.
So I think short cold bursts above freezing are ok.
Mike if you can get hold of it, chantinii var. fuchsii seems to be extra hardy. I have a dark form with longer leaves which seems to be on par with it.

Cheers
Brod
Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:28:14 »

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Brod you are a mind reader. This A. chantinii Fuchsii has just started flowering at work. I also have one on my palm tree at home flowering as well, just nowhere near the size as this potted one.

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:40:49 »

Here is chantinii, I think, growing on a tree at Jeffery Block's house in Miami.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: