Bromeliad Forum
September 23, 2017, 23:47:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foliar fertiliser burns  (Read 3937 times)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« on: October 27, 2012, 22:51:56 »

Hi everyone - I read an article the other day in which the author said that he always flushes out the centre of his brom's the day following foliar fertilising. He said the reason for this is that if not flushed out, the fertiliser remaining in the centre will burn the new leaves which can lead to rot.

I rarely foliar feed my plants, but on the odd times I have, I have never deliberately flushed the plant out the following day, but leave it until the next watering which could be a week away. I haven't noticed any damage to new leaves or rot, but then I haven't been looking for it either and like other growers I know, I occasionally find a new centre leaf with a bit of browning on the leaf tip which I have put down to what I call "the magnifying glass effect" where scalding is caused by sun shining on water droplets remaining on the leaf tip after watering.

Has anyone else ever had the experience of leaf tip burning due to foliar fertiliser accumulation in the centre of the plant?

All the best, Nev.
Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 00:02:33 »

Hi Nev

I don't bother washing fertiliser out of my plants after fertilising and haven't had burn issues on new foliage. I do tend to grow some nice algae in the cups with all the fertiliser I use. This can be a little unsightly but I want growth!, lots of it.
The only burn I suffered was in hot, above 30-32 degrees on Tillandsias, all over the foliar fertiliser sprayed leaves. I'm yet to burn an Alcantarea or a foliage Vriesea and I use very high rates.

cheers Bruce
Premium Advert
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:08:00 »

Hi Nev,

I agree with Bruce. I have been doing an aggressive folia feeding program for more than six months every second day and have had no burning issues.

Cheers
Brod
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:20:42 »

Hi Nev,

I've had the same experience as Bruce ....... but on a much smaller scale!  Every so often I'll go around with the watering can full of foliar (ie half) strength fertiliser and give a whole lot of broms a good big drink, straight into the cup.  I don't go around and flush it out again, just continue with normal watering which for the broms in the yard can be very light and occasional.  

I've never noticed any leaf damage that I can tie back to this.  In my case, most of the damage to the tips of emerging leaves seems to happen when they are just level with the top of the water in the cup and just happen to be face-on to intense full sun on a hot day, which cooks them.  That only happens occasionally so I don't have a major problem with it.

Cheers, Paul

Aha!  There's Brod's post while I was typing.  Similar results.

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: