Bromeliad Forum
October 21, 2017, 05:04:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoh. leopoldo-horstii seedlings  (Read 997 times)
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« on: August 04, 2012, 07:15:24 »

I grew a batch of seeds a couple of years ago.  They are developing nicely (although slow lately) but there is one standout of the group so far.  I'm not sure why the spines make such a difference, but hopefully they will still have this impact when the plant is fully grown.  It is nice to get a little reward for growing species from seed!

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Please register or login

Please register or login

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 20:33:02 »

That watermark is very annoying.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 23:56:06 »

Those colours are amazing Andy. You must be happy with those. Do they hold that colour all year round. I suppose by the look of them they have thrived on neglect, i.e. no fertilizer and sparing water.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Matt15

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:31 »

Andy they look fantastic!

I'm with Brod, colour looks amazing and I love the tight, upright form. Your San Diego weather looks to be a great match with this genera.

Please register or login
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:42:10 »

Hey Andy, they are looking good  Shocked  you must be pleased with the results.

Makes me want to grow some from seed    Grin

Please register or login
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:48:13 »

This is a perfect example of why I love to grow species from seed as it introduced more clones into the mix.
sdandy

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 18:15:20 »

Thanks guys.  I don't go out of my way to grow them hard, but perhaps my care isn't as good as I think.  I do fertilize every once in a while just not on a regular schedule.  They do hold the color throughout the year.  They are a lot more purple than I was expecting.  I keep watching for them to get darker.  They grow in full sun for the first half of the day and it gets warm over there as soon as the sun is up.
I have another 10 or so that are still around 1/3 of this size that have really been neglected.  These three just grew a little faster and kept my attention.  Fortunately the one with the nice spines also is showing really nice form.  Looks like it will be a nice, round vase.

Hunter

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Neoregelias, Aechmeas, Billbergias, Tillandsias
Hobbies: Fly fishing, Hunting, Scuba Diving

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 18:44:19 »

Hi Andy,
This species has never been one of my favourites, but seeing these seedlings has converted me and inspired me to grow some seeds from them.  They are stunning.  Well done.
Cheers, Trevor
Avane

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Hibiscus, Orchids, Cycads, Cliveas . . .
Hobbies: Painting, cooking, sewing . . .

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 21:09:23 »

Andy

They do look great!  I do love the spiny one! But I also love the spots. Was the mother also a spotty one?  The one I have has hardly any spots on it. It does change its colour according to our seasons though.  Almost pure green in Winter to a very dark purple, almost black in Summer.  It also have very nice spines.

I was not a very big fan of them, but after I saw your "Double-hyphen" ones, I got myself a l-h, seeing that I had a c-a and thought I might try and copy you as it would surely take ages for pups of your ones to travel to our part of the world!  My c-a flowered this past Summer and decided that there is no way that I am going to try and fiddle with those flowers, they are waaaayyyyyy to small for me!!

How are those D-h ones doing?

Japie

Please register or login
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 23:32:28 »

Hi Everyone,

Andy- There's some great colour there and it just goes to show the rewards to be reaped from patiently growing brom's from seed.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best, Nev.
sdandy

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 23:56:39 »

Thanks again guys.  I don't recall what the mother looked like.  I was able to get the berry from an older member who was giving me some pups for helping clean up their collection when I first joined our local society.  I'm sure it was a dark clone.  And I'm assuming there are very few different clones floating around in SoCal.

Sorry Japie, I can only take credit for growing two of the D-H clones.  Those are Paul W's plants from up in our far north (I can call it that as it borders Canadia...Tongue).  They seem to be doing well.  Holding good color.  And the larger one is starting to push its first two pups, so I am pretty excited.  Now that I think about it, probably worth going and tossing in some more fertilizer...

And yes, those flowers are TINY!  I was trying to self pollinate and cross that mystery/'from Burle Marx's garden/magnispina this year and still don't know if they set or not.  The pistil was easy enough to see/get to as it was visible in the petals, but you have to look close as the petals are even tiny.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: