Bromeliad Forum
December 11, 2017, 14:11:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question on Hohenbergia correia-araujoi  (Read 1120 times)
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:43 »

Has any one produced seed on Hohenbergia correia-araujoi.

If so what do they look like. For example do they produce a berry like other  Hohenbergia with 1 or more seed in them, or are they a dry arrangement.

Do you need 2 different clones to produce fruit and then seed.

Mine has finished flowering and it is all dry. There are pods that seem to have a another pod inside that looks something like a seed but is a lot larger than normal brom seed. Is this the seed or is this what potentially holds seed if they are successfully pollinated.

I made a few crosses on it with other  Hohenbergia and Aechmea but nothing seems to have taken. The flowers open at about mid day and are tiny. One would think that pollen would last from early morning from other  Hohenbergia and Aechmea..... what do you think.

Cheers
Brod
Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:19 »

Hi Brod

A friend of mine told me he got seed by putting his plant on an ants nest and they pollinated it for him as he was after big numbers for cut flower production. Just don't know what sort of ants he had in Venezuela.

cheers Bruce
Premium Advert
Lisa
Global Moderator

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 19:23:37 »

I have never seen it set seed either.  If it did, it would be a juicy berry like the rest of the Bromelioideae. 

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 23:47:59 »

Thanks Bruce and Lisa for your comments. I have 2 different clones...... I hope, so I will plant both together. As for ants, they are every where here, but I didn't notice any on the inflo as I was checking it daily.
Matt15

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:55 »

That's a shame none of your attempted crosses took to c-a Brod. I have done the same recently but it's to soon to tell if any were successful.
Did you do the crosses both ways? If so what was successful?

Please register or login
Neomea

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, CYCADS, Anthuriums, orchids, Platycerium and the list goes on!
Hobbies: Fishing, Rugby,The Sharks! Springboks!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:05:10 »

Hi guys

I managed to get 2 berries to form on my c-a. They were very small berries and you have to peel back the old dry bracts to spot the berries. I have one seedling left from four that germinated. I pollinated with a Hon thats probs an edmundoi. I pollinated early morning.

Growing Bromeliads in sunny Durbs
Matt15

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:24:26 »

I managed to get 2 berries to form on my c-a. They were very small berries and you have to peel back the old dry bracts to spot the berries. I have one seedling left from four that germinated. I pollinated with a Hon thats probs an edmundoi. I pollinated early morning.

That's great news but ashame you only have one left. Is your sole seedling old enough to be showing form and colour?

Please register or login
Neomea

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, CYCADS, Anthuriums, orchids, Platycerium and the list goes on!
Hobbies: Fishing, Rugby,The Sharks! Springboks!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:51:19 »

Yeah Matt, a slight light pinkish orangy colour. hahaha maybe I must get a picture...

Growing Bromeliads in sunny Durbs
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:11:25 »

Matt, where have you been?                 I know, it was the "H" word .......................

Dennis, good luck with the seedling, it'll be interesting to see what it does.  All the Hoh. c-a hybrids I've seen (admittedly not very many!) have been pretty cool plants.  Let's hope for another one.

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 00:07:03 »

Thats great news Dennis in your success with this cross. As Matt said a photo would be great.

Matt, I only did crosses on to it and not the other way mainly because the flowers on the c-a didn't open till after lunch and the other Ho's and Aechmea were early morning, so I would have to store pollen for the next day and that was a pain.
aroideana

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Aroids Palms Cycads
Hobbies: Extreme cuisine , Durian

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 01:40:11 »

Another secretive breeder who is on this forum has done a cross with this sp.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Matt15

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 01:54:57 »

Yeah Matt, a slight light pinkish orangy colour. hahaha maybe I must get a picture...
A picture would be fantastic!

Matt, where have you been?                 I know, it was the "H" word .......................
lol Paul... i still lurk around on these forums just not often enough.

Matt, I only did crosses on to it and not the other way mainly because the flowers on the c-a didn't open till after lunch and the other Ho's and Aechmea were early morning, so I would have to store pollen for the next day and that was a pain.
I hear you. It took me at least a week of consistently checking to see when I could take pollen from c-a. I guess I'll find out soon enough if any has taken.

Yep plenty of c-a crosses getting around but never in large quantities. It's a fantastic species with so many great taits.

Please register or login
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: