Bromeliad Forum
September 25, 2017, 06:16:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new guy  (Read 410 times)
wuzz

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Hechtia Dyckia Gasteria one or two Agave and 3 Aloes
Hobbies: Ukulele, 12 string open G slide, Padre Pottery and now... Mandolin two finger chords

A plateau is a high form of flattery

« on: July 15, 2012, 06:32:58 »

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
Show me a ukulele falling down a mine shaft and I'll show you a A-flat miner.
No matter how much you push the envelope, its still be stationary
When cannibals ate a missionary, they got a taste of religion.

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 19:51:31 »

A variegated Hechtia? Which one is it?

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 21:41:30 »

It is a podantha-type.  Without location data it is nearly impossible to know which one.  When it blooms hopefully that will help, but...

And not variegated.  That is probably the most common color pattern among Hechtia species even beating the 'blood spots'.  I have seen this pattern throughout the podanth complex and even on H. glauca and the wide-leaf group.  Some plants are more willing to give this color, but generally you can bring it out on an podantha complex plant.  Some do it in the dry heat of summer, some do it only with the cool/cold nights of winter.  Either way, keeping it nutrient stressed will always help.

Oh, and Wes, the seedlings at Q are doing pretty well.  I potted two up to (I think) 2 gallon pots a month or so ago and they are growing like mad.  I'll see if I can dig out some pictures of them.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

wuzz

Other Plants I Grow: Hechtia Dyckia Gasteria one or two Agave and 3 Aloes
Hobbies: Ukulele, 12 string open G slide, Padre Pottery and now... Mandolin two finger chords

A plateau is a high form of flattery

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 23:38:05 »

*faint*  I thought they all died  or got distributed on ebay.

I took several different batches of different Hechtia and pitcarnia ( plus some others)seed to the Q..back then. That seems so long ago..  and only one Hechtia is worth talking about?  Oh well..At the time I thought something good might come out of it.

I am getting 4 or 5 different Hechtia giving seed now. So different than before  and yes.. The old lady gave me 4 or 5 pods of seeds too. Probably will send them to someone that will germinate them for me. Hechtia seed is SOOOOO tiny compared to Dyckia...

I didn't claimed that this latest Hechtia was varigated or even special... just reversed markings..I have seen it before...  looks like a nice healthy plant.

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
Show me a ukulele falling down a mine shaft and I'll show you a A-flat miner.
No matter how much you push the envelope, its still be stationary
When cannibals ate a missionary, they got a taste of religion.
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:35:20 »

Hey Wes, I was explaining the stripes for others.  The biggest two are looking great, but there are others still coming along.  I am hoping to get all of them into at least 6" pots this summer.  I think there are at least 4 types that made it through...if only 1 or 2 from some though.  Don't get me started on the success rate of the seeds, lets just say that they were started and most were lost before I was helping out.  And I definitely would have done things differently.

Cool that you are getting seed.  Willing to send any a little south and east?  I've seen a couple now set sterile seed...very frustrating.  But usually all of the ones I pollinate make good seed.  It is interesting to see the different shape of the seeds from different species.  Quite variable between the different subgroups...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: