Bromeliad Forum
October 21, 2017, 04:56:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowdown on JC Superstar  (Read 1202 times)
Wal

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Palms
Hobbies: Music

« on: July 14, 2012, 00:32:57 »

More questions from me, the above Aechmea brom I have recently acquired from a local enthusiast. I forgot to ask him what are it's requirements regarding sun, whether full sun etc.

How big does it become as well as I am trying design another Brom plant out.

Thanks folks, I must say I am impressed with getting fast responses since I got on board the other day. I am hoping to help others after a while.
Lisa
Global Moderator

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 02:10:14 »

Wal, I'd grow it in filtered light/partial shade.  It can tolerate some sun, but in bright light the nice contrast between the red leaves and silver bands tends to disappear, and the whole thing just looks rosy.  It gets about the same size as Ae. zebrina or one of the larger chantiniis.  It would also be a good candidate for growing epiphytically. 

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 02:19:27 »

Hi Wal,

This is another one that I find does best if it gets a fair bit of full sun, but with light shade in the middle of the day in summer.  The full sun brings out the fabulous fluoro pink that this plant can develop.  Again, I'd be very interested in Brod's comments on this one, since he's a lot closer to you than I am.

I don't have a decent pic of JC Superstar growing by itself, but here's a clump of them in the top right hand corner of this pic where I have them growing on a branch in the sort of spot I just described:

Please register or login

Like a lot of other red-colured Aechmeas, I find that JC Superstar does the opposite of the Alcs we mentioned in the other thread, ie they loose most of their red colour in winter where I am.  As soon as the regular cool weather starts in May-June, they loose their hot colours and go a pale beige-y sort of colour, then as soon as the temperatures start to warm up again in September, the colours come back.  

This all happens quite quickly where I am, with the colour changes happening over a period of just a couple of weeks, so I suspect there is some sort of fairly sharp temperature threshold involved rather than it being a gradual thing.  I'd be really interested to hear from others where the winters aren't as cool.  

Anyway, regardless of all that, I don't mind at all that this plant looses it's colour for 3 months of the year where I am.  It is just so good for the remaining 9 months!

Cheers, Paul

Aha!  Lisa has just posted while I was typing.  All good info - and wouldn't I just love Lisa's growing conditions for some of these plants!  It'll be fun to experiment where you are.

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 06:04:49 »

Hi all,

Back again.  I thought I might as well take a pic of that same clump of JC Superstar today to get a record of what I was talking about with it loosing colour in winter.  This pic is pretty much from the same perspective, with the JC Superstar occupying the top right hand corner:

Please register or login

In mid-winter it is still getting full sun for about as much of the day as it does through summer  ........ but no hot pink  Shocked 

Here's another of a part of the garden that gets full sun from early morning through to about 1pm all year, then dappled shade through the afternoon, showing another JCS plus a couple of other Aechmeas that respond the same way. 

Please register or login

Going from left to right across the middle of the pic starting from the Neo. 'Rainbow' on the left (no loss of colour there), then there's a JCS, then Ae. gigantea, then Ae. 'Little Harve' - all bright as beige!  From experience in previous years, all three of those will colour up strongly again in September, so if anyone else finds that happening, don't panic!

And finally a pic that is totally gratuitous, but I put it in just because I like it so much:

Please register or login

- an Alc. imperialis 'Silver Plum' starting to colour up very nicely for the winter.  By September that purple on top will be much deeper and more vibrant.  Who cares if a few of the Aechmeas loose their colour while this is happening!

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
gonzer

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 13:15:50 »

Wal, 'JC' being one of the few Aechmeas I've grown prefers it's conditions here in SoCal just as Lisa pointed out; filtered light with an emphasis on the shadier side. Full/partial sun always bleaches the coloration.

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 00:24:25 »

Wal, I've grown mine in full sun and it looks good. But as Lisa said, the perfect color would be slightly filtered light.

I got one in the ground and one high up in a tree.

this is the one in the ground

Please
register or login
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 01:23:36 »

Wal, I forgot to mention about the size for us in the sub tropics. It grows to a biggish brom nearly up to a metre. We cant get our Ae. zebrina and chantinii to that size in the sub tropics. Lisa fortunately can get hers big because of the tropical climate in Hawaii.

JC will grow big for us because of the ramosa parentage which comes from Southern Brazil and is a tough plant.

Mine has been in full sun and has not burnt, but a nearby Ae 'Malva' (you can just see the leaf on the left) was discolored and burnt. I have since grown an Angle Trumpet tree for some shade which I have pruned back for winter and will regrow for summer shade.

Paul, your Al. 'Silver Plum' is looking good along with the rest of your broms
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:25:41 by Brod » Logged
Wal

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Palms
Hobbies: Music

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:53:57 »

Wal, I've grown mine in full sun and it looks good. But as Lisa said, the perfect color would be slightly filtered light.

I got one in the ground and one high up in a tree.

this is the one in the ground

Please
register or login

Wowza Brod, that is a beauty, I'm feeling lucky I have one of these. Getting the right light/sun exposure will be a test. I'll do a little of the ole "suck it and see" style initially, and learn as I go with tips from you fine people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: