Bromeliad Forum
November 23, 2017, 10:09:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever heard of Vr. 'Margolian'?  (Read 629 times)
Scottinsandiego

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Bananas, veg, ginger, heliconia
Hobbies: Travel !

« on: June 16, 2012, 18:29:45 »

I "won" this nice Vriesea at the raffle table at the last San Diego Bromeliad Society meeting.  Description:  It's a relatively soft-leaved medium size plant that has a nice mix of green and purple/wine coloring, but it does not have the versicolor trait of purple on the undersides of the leaves.  About 18" across, tip-to-tip.  The name 'Margolian' is not on the Bsi registry, the photo index or the Australian photo index.  Anyone have a clue?

I wish that I had the species (or registered hybrid) names of this plant's parents.   Huh  I think we've all been there, so to speak!  Without information, how are you supposed to know how to cultivate a plant?  For now, I'll treat it like a soft-leaved, shade-loving mesic Vriesea. I really appreciate collecting simple species plants.

Overall condition:
You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Somewhat close-up:
Please register or login
pinkbroms

Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:01:53 »

Hi Scott

Maybe supposed to be Vr. Marjolein, need to wait till it flowers.
Premium Advert
Scottinsandiego

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:51:24 »

Thanks PB for the possible lead.  It is easy to mislabel, especially when copying an old, weathered plant tag.  However, both parents of V. 'Marjolean' (carinata and 'Viminalis-Rex') are very green-leafed.  And my plant has leaves that are consistently mixed with red-purple - and not colored by means of stress or high light.  Hmmm.  The viminalis-rex hybrid is of "unknown parentage" however.  Hmmm.  Maybe this plant is a cross between something purple and 'Marjolean'?  Indeed, the flower will tell us, and probably next year.  Cheers.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

brombirdie

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Tropical plants
Hobbies: reading

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 07:01:53 »

Scott, my Vriesea Brentwood Lemon has very similar shape and foliage to yours. Jen
Please
register or login
Kerry T.

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: You mean there are other plants besides bromeliads?

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:33:35 »

Scott - I haven't heard of V.'Margolian' either, sorry.

When I saw your photos, I immediately thought Vriesea malzinei. The clones I grow are about the same size, shape, and have soft leaves randomly-mottled green and burgundy. I have read that malzinei can be quite variable in leaf colour.

What colour are the undersides of the leaves on your raffle prize? The undersides of my specimens are more red-purple with a bit of green at the base of each leaf - on both my red and yellow-bracted forms.

If not V. malzinei, maybe a hybrid thereof? I think your choice of cultivation conditions is a wise one, especially in dry San Diego. As PB and you have said, you'll need to flower your prize to have a better idea of ID.

Here are some photos of a few V. malzinei I have grown.  Similar?

Please register or login

Please register or login

And a yellow-bracted form, with inflo not fully developed.

Please register or login

Jen - Although similar, I don't think Vriesea 'Brentwood Lemon' is grown in the U.S. - or not by that name. 'Brentwood Lemon' is a hybrid of unknown parentage grown in Australia, and renamed by Uncle Derek.

K

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:47:34 by Kerry T. » Logged
Scottinsandiego

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:06:45 »

Interesting follow-up.  As for the 'Brentwood Lemon':  this is interesting, because i obtained a 'Brentwood' locally several years back, and it doesn't look like Your 'Brentwood Lemon' at all.  My plain Brentwood, which hasnt bloomed yet, is green overall with some cherry-red tones in the center.  (and now that I look at it, it has more color than usual...Might bloom in a few months.)  My Brentwood has color on the under-sides of the leaves.  The Margolian lacks color underneath and has purplish color on top throughout.

The Vr. malzinei looks close to my plant -- except mine is all green underneath!  Dang.  I like the shape of the inflorescence in yours, Kerry.  (And your photo is way better than any of the ones on the BSI phto database.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: