Bromeliad Forum
January 17, 2018, 12:19:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dyckia with some possibilities  (Read 517 times)
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« on: May 21, 2012, 16:56:43 »

Of course I am going to jinx it by showing/mentioning it here, but this Dyckia has a strip in just about the right spot to be exciting.  Now the question is whether or not there is a way to try to force a pup from this leaf axil?  I have another one in the works that is variegated, but this one is conducive to showing it whereas the other is so scurfy you have to look hard to see it.  Come to think of it, I find a lot of variegation in my garden, does anyone else?

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 22:40:01 »

Come to think of it, I find a lot of variegation in my garden

You must have the golden touch Andy  Grin

I find it interesting that most genus seem happy to produce variegated plants, except the terrestrials, and especially dyckia.

You might have a chance with this one Andy. As dyckia produce pups around the base, I would feed this one well, & then keep removing pups, until pup production gets up to this leaf level. The problem is that by then this leaf will be as brown as those lower leaves, so you may have to mark it in some way. Could be a cool project  Tongue and rewarding if it works!

You've probably read the story about how Aechmea Aztec Gold was prodcued...here's the link anyway:-

http://fcbs.org/articles/a_Aztec_Gold.htm

Cheers, Andrew

Please register or login
Premium Advert
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 22:53:32 »

If it were a clean-looking stripe, Andy, I'd say go for it.  But whenever I see brownish spots or streaks in the "variegated" part, I regard it as something to be avoided.  Not being a pathologist, I hesitate to label it as viral, but that's generally the thought that goes through my head.  It may not be terribly contagious or end up doing much harm, but even from a purely aesthetic standpoint, would you really want to propagate something that will be prone to brown spotting?  I'm not seeing any of that on the rest of the leaf.  Just something to think about. 

Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:20:53 »

That Dyckia looks pretty stressed to me. I often get all manner of stripes when I seriously stress them.

Here is a Neo Giant that I almost killed by putting in full sun. It's now recovered but all the new leaves are showing stripes.

Please register or login

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:54 »

Awesome Neo Giant!  Mine has been in full sun and will get its first summer of full sun this year, but I don't expect anything like that happening.

Yes, the Dyckia is super-duper stressed right now.  I noticed the two striped leaves this winter but forgot about it tucked away where the plants don't get much water.  I remembered it recently as I've been doing some pollinating and decided to pull it out and start giving it better care.  The line didn't show any problems when it was getting regular water, so I'm hoping the tissue isn't too weak or diseased.  We'll see once it starts getting more love again.  It will be a long process, so we'll see.

Yup Devo, I like that article.  Nice to see people take determined methods and use their observations to be successful.  And it shows that it can take determination to nudge plants in a certain direction.  Some of my other variegates are probably going to be much tougher to get a stable and nice looking plant out of it.  This morning I found yet another variegated Tillandsia.  Definitely going to be one of the tough ones to get to look interesting...it is very scurfy. Makes me wonder what is in our water or if we have some crazy source of radiation around here...hmmm.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: