Bromeliad Forum
September 25, 2017, 06:10:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cultivar name for a variegated cruenta ?  (Read 3053 times)
Rickta66

Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 14:41:19 »

Great looking Neos Bob and Lisa.

Paul, Neo Jaline and Goldilocks are both registered on BCR.

Cheers,

Rick
Rickta66

Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 14:43:53 »

Paul,

I missed the comments on BCR about Goldilocks and Jaline being identical, now your comment about Geoff makes sense.

Rick
geoff3147

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: roses, shrubs, trees
Hobbies: classical music, in-depth documentaries

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 16:20:07 »

Firstly,the 3 BCR entries info for Neo Goldilocks, Milton & Jaline were made at different times from different sources by the previous Registrar Derek Butcher. The supposed links between the 3 cultivars are questions "?", not statements. I do see a need to modify the entries though, but need good advice.

Goldilocks--central variegation
Milton----marginated variegation
Jaline---marginated variegation

So the real question should be what are the specific differences between Milton & Jaline ? I need experienced growers who can say  with authority what the exact CONSTANT  differences are between the two, other than cultural or climatic factors quoted. Not easy when you are dealing with maybe "different" clones of the alleged same species.  Permanent BCR online detailed comments which can stand the bromeliad world's scrutiny. Anyone ? 
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

BobS

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: TROPICALS

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 16:39:36 »

I'm not familiar with milton, but it does look like it has more red throughout it's leaves. I need to try one but it may not be in the states yet. Got to do some calling around. Has it mad it to Australia?

Bob

You can't make a weak man strong by making a strong man weak. Abraham Lincoln
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 19:54:20 »

I probably should have checked the actual BCR listings before responding to aroideana/Miguel's comments on FB*, and then carrying over the discussion to here.  I apologize for any confusion or offense.  I thought by your comments that you had been following it too, Andy.  I guess I was wrong. 

As for Milton, I don't have it either-- does anyone outside of Brazil?  Judging by the photo, it does look similar to how Chester described the original Jaline in habitat (also FB discussion*), so it seems possible they could be the same.  Certainly worth looking into.

*I tried to link to that photo/discussion in Planet Bromeliad, but it doesn't seem to work here.  It's easy enough to find, if anyone's interested.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 23:17:25 »

Hi all,  I hope I didn't cause any offense either.  If I did, it certainly wasn't intended!

Geoff, it's great that you're having a look at this.  Lisa's point about 'Milton' and Chester Skotak's comments on FB is a good lead but throws up an interesting little conundrum - if 'Milton' is the same plant as the original 'Jaline' in habitat, then what is the plant that we're all calling 'Jaline'?  This looks to be the same plant listed as 'Jaline' in the BCR by Tropiflora, but sure looks a different plant to that pic in the BCR of 'Milton'  Shocked

......... even taking cultural differences into account.  Has anyone manged to cook up a 'Jaline' in a way that gets that 'Milton' red shading on the leaves while they still basically stay green and white?

Cheers, Paul
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 23:20:12 by paul_t23 » Logged

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 23:28:12 »

BTW Andy, trying to follow the fragmented + incompletely replicated threads on FB drives me nuts as well.  It's a damn shame because there is some good discussion and Barry Landau does a great job, but the FB software platform is just appallingly badly designed for maintaining any sort of coherent thread.  Unfortunately, while it gets so much traffic and generates so much advertising revenue, I suspect its owners are unlikely to provide a technically competent platform like this one.

Hey FB guys, make your voices heard and come on over here too!

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 01:14:06 »

Yeah Lisa, I *saw* it, but the general Bromeliad section I don't follow all that carefully.  Too much fluff to dig through to see anything worth reading.  It is a fine line between having too much and too little 'chatter' and a fine line between overly technical(/boring) discussions and not enough technical information/discussion.  There is no way to make everyone happy.  The forum format here is by far the best that I have seen and interacted with.

My wonder is why Jaline is supposed to be white variegation?  That part is still bugging me.

Paul, I've been slowly trying to pull people into this forum if they are contributing quality stuff on FB.  I have no problem 'head hunting' for good bromeliad folk.

aroideana

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Aroids Palms Cycads
Hobbies: Extreme cuisine , Durian

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 02:16:33 »

I much prefer this forum to facebook and thats why I also posted it here .
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:01 »

Lisa's point about 'Milton' and Chester Skotak's comments on FB is a good lead but throws up an interesting little conundrum - if 'Milton' is the same plant as the original 'Jaline' in habitat, then what is the plant that we're all calling 'Jaline'? 

I didn't mean to imply that the Jalines we've been seeing are not the same clone as the original collection, Paul.  Skotak's comments nothwithstanding, I don't think the difference is beyond what could be attributed to growing conditions.  The one in Japie's photo is certainly more compact and redder than Tropiflora's.  I may have to try growing those pups lean and sunny, and see if I can cook them into looking like Milton. 

The white is more of a cream color, Andy.  Not pure white, but certainly whiter than Goldilocks' greenish yellow. 

BTW, while I enjoy certain aspects of Facebook, I completely agree about the limitations of the format for this type of discussion, and the frustration of trying to follow a topic when every photo starts a new thread and they jump all around on the page.  I much prefer our forum here too, both in format and overall tone. 

Please register or login
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 05:31:45 »

Hi Lisa,

You may not have been implying, but I was certainly wondering after Chester's quite different description and comments.

Tropical beaches are in short supply around here, so I'll be really keen to see the results of your cooking experiments!

How about someone up in far north QLD?  (Or even Lismore area ........... )

Cheers, Paul

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 06:35:17 »

The white is more of a cream color, Andy.  Not pure white, but certainly whiter than Goldilocks' greenish yellow.   

Okay, thanks for that too Lisa.  That makes sense.  After seeing different types of variegation on things like Ae. nudicaulis where there are whites and several cream/yellow clones around I take 'white' to mean the 'clean white'.  And not having seen a Goldilocks I didn't quite realize the differences with the 'white' variegation.

aroideana

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Aroids Palms Cycads
Hobbies: Extreme cuisine , Durian

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 08:50:53 »

I think I know someone who has one form of this , will try and get one .
Remember a very sarcastic comment from a visitor to Whyanbeel one day , ' seems you call every strange Neo a cruenta ' after he asked about several of peters plants .
gonzer

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 14:51:33 »

Off topic but if anyone is wondering I've cancelled my FB account. Got too hard separating the wheat from the chaff in all areas.

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
Premium Advert
pedro

Australia Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 00:23:07 »

Hi all

The big difference between the 2 forums for me is the time it takes. Facebook is less taxing, basically instant, show and tell (very short at that usually). This forum needs more time to think and read the threads, but is far more interesting. When I'm busy, as I have been, I mainly look at facebook; when I have more time I'll try to contribute here. So I just posted a pic of a bunch of Jalines at Pedro Nahoum's nursery on facebook, and now here. Easy to identify I reckon. It's damned slow for me! I think I should do as Pedro has - chuck them in the garden in a sunny spot.

Cheers, Pedro

Please
register or login
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: