Bromeliad Forum
November 18, 2017, 03:36:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How could you not love this Hechtia...  (Read 445 times)
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« on: April 10, 2012, 05:31:01 »

Did I mention I like Hechtias?  I couldn't believe my eyes when I found these guys...what is not to love?  Lateral blooming, non-pupping (for the most part).  A very good focal point, no?  The picture with me standing next to the plant is not the largest plant.  Just happened to be a convenient one for a picture...so yes, they do get bigger!  I think this may be my new favorite species!

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Look at it compared to the trees!!!
Please register or login

Good sized leaves
Please register or login

Please register or login

And then with me for some scale!!
Please register or login

Kerry T.

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: You mean there are other plants besides bromeliads?

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:39:03 »

Oh, I love it alright, Andy! - esp. at a distance and from the comfort of my 'puter chair.  Tongue

No - it really is magnificent. Is this the very special Hechtia siekkinenii? Where did you spot them? (not exactly, if a secret) - southern Mexico?

BTW - you're looking good, my friend!  Kiss
Premium Advert
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:08:50 »

Ha ha, thanks Kez!  I would be greatly honored to have my name on this plant, but no, it is not a new species.  The type was collected in 1842 and it was described in 1901...so definitely not new.  Just not represented in cultivation (for some reason!:P).  It is Hechtia myriantha in Veracruz.  Reading the description I knew it was supposed to be a large plant, but this was beyond even my wildest idea.  It was a really interesting area and we met some really nice people in the village.  Definitely will go back to explore that area some more as one of the men wants to take me down to the bottom to see the stuff down there.

It was growing with Hechtia stenopetala (now I know what it finally looks like) and there looked to be a couple of natural hybrids between the two.  H. stenopetala is terminal blooming and H. myriantha is lateral so the hybrids were also terminal.  Also around this spot there were Ae. bracteata, a really great form of T. fasciculata, a narrow leaf form of concolor, unseoides, recurvata, ionantha, pseudobaileyi, paucifolia, schiedeana, makoyana, belloensis, and it seems like a couple of other species of Tillandsia.  Beaucarneas, Agaves, Zamias, plumeria, bursura (a great group of trees), and tons of other interesting stuff.  The poor Bromelia species growing near them was dwarfed.  I never thought I would see a Hechtia make a (Mexican) Bromelia look small and puny!

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: