Bromeliad Forum
October 19, 2017, 14:51:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday morning at Olive and Len Trevor's - Part 2  (Read 2374 times)
sunny

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: palms and bamboos

« on: January 09, 2012, 01:26:25 »

Monday evening edit - after a sweltering day I was in the yard watering and as I lifted the skirt on my Alc. brasiliana, I said OMG or it may have been only two words I used when I realised that I had misnamed one of the beauties at Olive's and Len's.  The plant I labeled 'Grace Goode' is of course Alcantarea brasiliana, also known I believe as 'Cairns Green' and more latterly as "Whyanbeel'.  I am very sorry for that error, but grateful that none of you wrote to me to tell me that I am an idiot.  I am sorry if spelling errors remain.

Now back to my original post.

I know that no one will read this as you will all have flicked to the pages with variegated Alcantarea pictures, however, Brisbane today max. 35C-95F with the likelihood of afternoon or evening thunderstorms.  As if anyone cares, my toad-rage continues, body count four.  As an avid recycler, I really should find a recipe for frog's legs, heaven knows that I have dissected enough toads in my time and eaten all manner of beasts when working in marvelous mainland China.

Just inside the sales area, a smorgasbord of flowering Alcantarea geniculata on the left and glaziouana on the right, all you can eat for $35 a plate/pot.  And along the back wall, more of the same and a towering, flowering Alcantarea brasiliana stock plant.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alcantarea geniculata
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alcantarea glaziouana
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

You meet the nicest people - brom enthusiast Joy agreed to pose beside the inflorescence of the Alc. brasiliana to provided much needed scale and consented to her image being uploaded to the interweb.  Thank you Joy.  The geniculata and glaziouana were delightfully fragrant, but not even my long nose could reach the open flowers of the Alc. brasiliana.  Then how did I take the photo of the flower?  I have long arms.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Out the back, away from the sales area is this delightful Alcantarea extensa which I always admire.  (Edit, 26th Jan, 2011 - I have begun to think that this plant bears a greater similarity to Alcantarea 'Raymond Golden Brown'.) 
http://www.bromeliad.org.au/  I regret I can't remember scent testing it.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

These guys always mesmerise.  Alcantarea extensa variegated forms.  Fabulous!
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Perhaps my favourite pics - Alcantarea glaziouana variegated form which has apparently had the Bruce Dunstan screwdriver treatment - the destruction of the basal tissue at the centre of the rosette at the bottom of the tank, in order to induce the growth of "regular" offsets/pups rather than grass pups/hair pups.  The second image shows a regular pup almost the size of the mother plant.  The last image shows what may be the last of the grass pups between new regular pups.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Hope you had fun,
John
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:50:42 by sunny » Logged
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:47:52 »

Great shots again John ! Did you find out if the variegated extensa's deliver variegated pups true to form after flowering...and perhaps screw-drivering ?
...or is there some "novar" percentage / variation in markings ?

Cheers, Graeme
ellisonk001

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Cactus, Succulents, Nepenthes
Hobbies: Hiking, Reading

Oahu Hawaii

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:06 »

Beautiful pictures of an amazing nursery!  Thanks for taking us along for the visit.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Kentia_Grove (Craig)

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: clivia, cycads, succulents, aloes

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:30:22 »

Truly phenomenal plants and setup. Those are people living their passion and dream. Something to aspire to. Thank you again for sharing all those wonderful photo's with us.

Craig.
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 18:43:50 »

Hi everyone,

Thanks again John; more wonderful photos. I hear Len and Olive also have some great Neo's; when are you going back to get some pic's of them to show us?

All the best, Nev.
sdandy

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:49:34 »

Great pics and tour.  I love seeing so many Alc's blooming all together like that.  Makes me wish I had a couple more in my garden...

aroideana

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Aroids Palms Cycads
Hobbies: Extreme cuisine , Durian

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:14:27 »

Yes a treat of Alcantareas from our Alcantaguy.. and Nev , we need to send a NeoNut to Olive Branch no use sending a Neophyte or even worse a Neophobe !
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 05:44:07 »

More great pic's John!

There really is something captivating about variegated alcantarea...

Cheers, Andrew.

Please register or login
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 21:57:48 »

Thanks John for the Alcant coloured gasses tour of Olives place. A real treat
sunny

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 03:52:17 »

Thank you everyone.

Graeme - I am trying to think back to a “master class” on all things bromeliad that Matt, Brod, Rick and I received from Bruce Dunstan during a tour of the Greenstock Nursery.

I can't remember a direct reference to how the completion of flowering affects the quality of the pups subsequently produced or whether they are grass or regular.

What I believe I remember is that screwdrivering will improve the quality of the regular  pups produced, by stabilising irregular variegation in mother plants, and will improve the variegation in regular pups produced from mother plants that would not normally be of a quality suitable for sale.

I hope that this may go some way to answer your questions and that Rick or Bruce (or Brod or Matt) may chime in if they can correct me or add information.

You are welcome ellisonk001.

Craig - hang on, you're the guy who I am sure inspired all of us with your Dec 28, 2011 post under the Some Shadehouse Pics - 42m x 8.5m (with more to come) and 600 varieties and fantastic propagation success - I loved your pics and what you are doing.

I had the great good fortune yesterday when in the company of Mike Symmons, a mate from the days before bromeliads when we both grew orchids,(photos of one of his bromeliad nurseries grace Andrew Steens' books) to meet a personable (add young, passionate, knowledgeable) countryman of yours who is establishing a nursery just north of Brisbane.  He is in the process of importing his collection from the RSA as well as new plants from around the world from preeminent growers and hybridizers. Local and I suspect international Alcantarea (and Vriesea and Tillandsia) growers are in for a treat (there's that word again) as he has got many beautiful variegated Alcantarea through quarantine and has begun what can only be described as a very intensive Alc. hybridising program (not with the variegates) including intergenerics.  I have asked that he adds my name to his waiting list for seedlings.  I would have taken pics but it was so hot yesterday under shadecloth in the nurseries we visited, that I am sure the 'fillum' in my digital camera would have melted.

Nev - I thought when selecting images to upload, there will be forum folk who will be teased by background or incidental images of their favourite genera, and perhaps more than a little disappointed that I didn't make image subjects of plants they love.  As you won't buy - "I only had one film in my camera" - I promise I will visit again soon and that I will try to get you some prime, drool-worthy Neo pics.  Once I have finished at the forum Nev, I will reply to your so very kind email.  All the very best mate.  (Psst - I did buy a couple of Neo. Billy Ninja although I think I have some already, but they had nice pups, and a Neo. Kika - pics below.)

Andy, Glad you enjoyed coming along.  I want to say I wished I had added my congratulations to you for your beautiful bromeliad Christmas tree.  I don't know if your won the competition again, but you had my vote as I didn't imagine anyone could have come within a country mile.

Andrew, I am so glad you have enjoyed them.  So often the innovators, I am guessing that you guys/girls are growing them in New Zealand.  I am sure if you are, they are the very best.

Aroideana,  So glad you are popularising Andrew's collective noun for Alcantarea, as is Brod.  You're a change agent, that's good, but please don't promote me to "our Alcantaguy", though very flattering, I am just one of many Alcantaguys and a few Alcantagals who provide the forum pics of their collections and favourites.

You made me laugh last night when I first read your post and am still smiling at your aside to Nev - I was surprised you didn't add - "never send a (old)boy to do a man's job".  I will put my hand up to Neophyte, (I am guessing you have read my many errors), and yes it's true I am obsessed with Alcantareas, but I think you may have travelled a bridge too far with "Neophobe!" I honestly didn't set a trap, but it is still nice to upload an image of the Neos I brought home from Olive's and Len's.

I am pretty certain those are new Neos purchased Sunday, sitting on the path behind a new Till. krukoffiana (soo like an Alc.) bought yesterday and placed beside the "old one" in the foreground for comparison of leaf form and habit.  Perhaps once Pedro has completed the release of his new Tillandsias from quarantine he may have a chance comment on the differences.  
Please
register or login

Only the smallest sample Nev - I will do better next time.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

To let me finish on a true Alcantarea note, I will mention the plant visible across the path in the last image, a Margaret Kraa grown Alcantarea patriae which I purchased at the BSQ show and market at Windsor a few months back.  The images may help folk with identification.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Brod, thanks mate, you know what it is like, a couple of hours only gives you a chance to sample a nursery of the size of the Olive Branch.

Cheers
John
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:49:15 by sunny » Logged
pedro

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 12:28:56 »

Thanks for the show, John. A visit to the Olive Grove is always a feast.

I agree about the treats to be unleashed upon the brom world in the future, esp from the mass hybridisation happening all over the place (incl that young man from Scottburgh near Durban). Aussie broms are already world famous and that's not about to end!

The 'other' T krukoffiana is a large attractive plant, that flowered in Heidelberg BG recently, though the photo isn't on the DBG website any more. It's a stunner in bloom, much more pink than the narrow-leafed form. And my latest European batch will be home in a week incl some more giant tank Tills - 50+++ giant species now but most are much slower than Alcants to grow, even with Bruce having a go. 4 yrs to flower not 2!!

The albo extensa is proposed to be named Alc PITA or P.I.T.A. It sure is a hell of a nice plant, nearly as good as the two 'Stars' that Bruce produced - White and Yellow. As for Alc patriae, I wrote articles for the BSI and DBG journals about the real deal in Brazil. Margaret's plant is similar, then so are so many!

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

pedro

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 01:50:43 »

The two 'extensas' - PITA and Bobby Powell (Gold form) are stunners too. I am growing these 2 indoors in a high roofed plastic house (50% white), sides rolled up in summer (actually my main Till house) and the others outside under 50% white cloth to compare growth rates and appearance. The tunnel seems to be winning though they 'look' better outside. Wish I had Olive's space!

Cheers, Pedro

Alc PITA and Bobby Gold
Please
register or login
sunny

Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 05:07:16 »

Thanks for coming by Pedro and for your info on the Till. krukoffiana(s) and Alc. patriae.  I’m glad you enjoyed revisiting Olive’s and Len’s.

I will pre-empt the rest of the forum and say – you are welcome to come back as often as you like – you will never wear out your welcome when you come bearing gifts as beautiful as your images of Bruce’s Alc. glaziouana White and Yellow “Stars” and your Alc. extensa ‘PITA’ and Alc. extensa ‘Bobby Powell’.  Please correct me if I got those names wrong and if you think I mislabelled the image of the screwdrivered Alc at Olive’s.

(I am wondering now what it would take to get Bruce to dust off some of the pics he has taken over the years of his variegated Alcs at Greenstock.)

News of your soon to be released batch of plants sourced in Europe will please many people, (swelling your already fat catalogue), even though we will have to wait through a period of plant rehabilitation and growing-on before they come to market.  I am delighted that you have some giant tank Tills among them and will be pleased to learn when they are available.

Cheers,
John
Kentia_Grove (Craig)

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: clivia, cycads, succulents, aloes

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 09:11:39 »

It is hard to find the words to describe the beauty of those variegated Alc's. Mindblowing, that is all I can say. Thank you John and Pedro for the amazing pics.

Craig.
Premium Advert
Scottinsandiego

Other Plants I Grow: Bananas, veg, ginger, heliconia
Hobbies: Travel !

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 04:01:04 »

John,

Of course it has been awesome to follow this thread.  Great photos of course, and luminous discussions.

Last year I had this green-leafed Alcantarea flower for the first time, and it appears to match the Alcantarea geniculata that you photographed.  It was huge, and the yellow petals coiled back, with white stamen and pistil flower parts.  The nursery where I purchased it here in Rancho Santa Fe for quite a pretty penny may have their stock incorrectly labled as Alcantarea regina.  [They continue to sell Alcantarea imperialis as a Vreisea!]  To confirm, I wonder if anyone has close-up photos of the flowers on A. regina.  I am nearly embarassed to post my photos, as I am a lame at photographer!  But here is the plant I purchased as Alcantarea regina...

Please register or login

Any suggestions?

Cheers to all the worldwide Alcantarea fiends.   Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: