Bromeliad Forum
December 14, 2017, 11:00:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy New Alcantarea Year 2012! Some of the Alcs I found in 2011.  (Read 1123 times)
sunny

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: palms and bamboos

« on: January 03, 2012, 03:24:33 »

Happy New Year everyone!  Just some of the more common Alcantarea available within an easy drive of Brisbane, but for the addicts here for whom Alcs are the crack cocaine of bromeliads, you may still enjoy these images, despite the fact that the varieties best coloured in winter are at their best summer (well fed and watered) green.  Green's still good!  The spirit-level measure is 24 inches or 60cm long.  I apologise that when you upsize the images of the Till. krukoffiana the image label contains a spelling mistake. 

Alc glaziouana
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alc Grace Goode
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alc heloisae
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alc Arno
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alc glaziouana (dark pink bracts?)
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alc vinicolor 'Hawaiian Red'
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alc nahoumii (large form)
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Alc Till krukoffiana and offsets
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

I didn't think you would mind the inclusion of the big tank Till whose spelling error has been corrected thanks to the heads-up from Rick.  It is currently my equal favourite with the Grace Goode.

Cheers
John
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 00:35:32 by sunny » Logged
Scottinsandiego

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Bananas, veg, ginger, heliconia
Hobbies: Travel !

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:56:45 »

Awesome pictures.  Love those Alc's, and can't get enough of them [despite not having many local suppliers and not enough garden space].  I'm just starting out -- have only 6 or 7 amongst the other brom's.  In a few years, there might be an episode of Bromeliad Hoarders if I can't make my way through the Alacantereas to the door of my house.
Rickta66

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:11:01 »

John,

Great shots and good looking plants.

You must have smudged your label - crukoffiana should be krukoffiana.

Cheers,

Rick
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

sunny

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:43 »

Thank you Scott.  Good luck with your collecting.  Remember mate, even if it does get out of hand, as an Alcantarea addict, you never have to say you are sorry.  I am indeed lucky living where I do in south-east Queensland with many very experienced and knowledgeable growers both along the Queensland coast and along the New South Wales northern and central coasts, and generally, lots more rain I believe than Southern California.  Have you thought about moving to your 50th state Hawaii?

Thank you, thank you Rick.  I can't believe I did that. I wrote correctly spelled labels for each of the pups and even Googled the name to make sure I spelled it correctly this afternoon, then mis-spelled it.  But the excuse you provided me continues to make me smile.  Your diplomatic skills are being wasted and I am going to propose you as the next Secretary General of The United Nations.  

Cheers
John
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:42:34 by sunny » Logged
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 20:24:12 »

Hey John,

No better way to start off the New Year than to see a nice selection of alc's!

I've got a small offset of Till. krukoffiana...very slow growing so far, but hoping it will put on some size over the summer, yours is looking good!

Cheers, Andrew.

Please register or login

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:29:10 »

I'm impressed that you don't have very many dead leaves at the bottom. My Alc's are constantly browning bottom leaves but I'm sure it's from a desire to have a bigger pot, more water and less sun. I do have a very large green odorata (or so the label says) that is in the ground in a somewhat protected spot and it's doing rather well with few leaves turning brown.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Matt15

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:55:03 »

John clearly the Alc bug has bitten you, perhaps even twice!
Your collection is fantastic not to mention all those you haven't posted. Thanks for sharing!

Please register or login
sunny

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 22:19:39 »

I am so glad you enjoyed my pics Andrew.

I learned so much and had so much pleasure during 2011 seeing the collections and growing areas of others, and habitat shots too, that I thought that I would get the ball rolling early in the hope that the wonderful sharing I have found at the forum will continue.

You can't imagine how often I have visited (images of) your front deck to drool on cue like a Pavlov dog a the sight of your glorious NZ reds; the bright red clone of Alc. vinicolor and Red Ensign, the type of plants I know make a beginner like me, and I am guessing many more experienced hands as well, go slack-jawed and cross-eyed with envy and desire.

That beautiful Till. krukoffiana was grown until very recently by Bruce Dunstan and is much like the rest of my collection, acquired in the last six to eight months, most credit for them must go to growers from whom they were bought.  I will keep my fingers firmly crossed that we both enjoy success in raising our offsets.

I am still no closer to finding the source and parentage of my glossy reds, the first of which I found exactly six months ago and for which I think I can take some credit for growing taller and fatter (and very green and probably too big to remain much longer on benches made for orchids), and I would love to see Kiwi-summer-images of yours, if that's possible.

Cheers
John

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 00:39:45 by sunny » Logged
sunny

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 22:41:28 »

Hiya Matt,

You continue to be very kind.

What a wonderful addiction we share.  I can honestly say that it has been a long, long time since I had as much fun as I had through 2011, discovering the delights of hunting and gathering and growing broms.

Hoping that we all have a fantastic year, and that no antidote is found for the addiction or repellant for the bug.

John
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 00:15:01 by sunny » Logged
sunny

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 00:08:39 »

378 - I want to grow my Alcs as big and as fast as I can and taking the dead leaves from around the base lets me more easily and accurately water directly into the pot and so mobilise and make available the slow release fertiliser I use.  Following the example of others, I remove the lower living leaves to expose basal tissue (and set the plant high in the potting medium and staked if need be) which I find enhances both new root growth and the likelihood of new offsets.  Removing grass pups/offsets (growing free of the potting medium) from stripped-down, high-set Alcs is much, much easier and less damaging to mother plants when the alternative may be to go mining between the tangled roots in the hope of removing a viable pup. 

Cheers,
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: