Bromeliad Forum
January 24, 2018, 00:45:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The clumping deut's.  (Read 1228 times)
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« on: December 28, 2011, 06:41:33 »

After buying Deuterocohnia lotteae at one of the BSNZ Fiesta’s a few years ago, I’ve developed a liking for these clumping forms of deuterocohnia.
Here are the ones I currently have:-

Deuterocohina lotteae
You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
Please register or login

Deuterocohnia lorentziana, thought to be a silver clone.
Please register or login

Both lorentziana & lotteae together.
Please register or login

Deuterocohnia lorentziana, said to be the green clone. These have been grown from seed.
Please register or login

My few cuttings of Deuterocohnia brevifolia ssp. chlorantha. These are only just surviving…they are so slow to produce roots.
Please register or login

Who else is growing these clumping deut’s? Any other types, or clones around?

Cheers, Andrew.

Please register or login
bromnut45

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: FRUIT TREES, ORNAMENTAL TREES ETC
Hobbies: PAINTING, CRAFTS, COOKING

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:55:07 »

Hi Andrew,

Wow they are fantastic and so big, how long have you had them.  I had a few but killed them both.  I find they are hard to grow, one did flower and then went downhill.   How do you grow yours?Huh?

Alfina Grin
Premium Advert
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 17:23:06 »

Oh boy.  Yeah, when grown from seed there are some interesting subtleties, so it is fun to do that and see what you get.  Here the green De. lorentziana is more common than the white one.  I bought a small, 3-headed clump of the white one from the Huntington this last year....at least at the moment the rosettes are huge compared to most of the white clones I have seen around.  The only problem with that is that I have had mine change the rosette size depending on the season and the year.  Sometime they will have a rosette that is huge and then the next generation is fairly dainty.

They have been around here long enough that no one here gets worked up unless it is in a clump that is at least 2-3 feet wide...well, with the collectors at least; the public still goes nuts even in small pots.  At one ridiculous (high end) nursery up in the LA area, I saw a small clump of brevifolia in a 3" pot priced at $45!!!!  That is just ludicrous!!

I will try to snap some pictures of different clumps from friends over the next month or so...be ready to be amazed!  I don't know if I took any pictures last time I was at the Huntington, but they have some that are nearly hedges along a pathway.

As for other species, the one I am looking for and it doesn't seem to be spread around in cultivation is De. scapigera.  The supposed missing link between small mad clumpers and the spike forming species.

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 22:24:28 »

Hi Alfina,

My first deut was the Deut. lotteae, & it was purchased in Feb '08. It was just a small clump with about a doz heads, & now it's developed into a good size clump...as in the first 2 pic's above.

Here's a pic of it taken back in Feb '08.

Please register or login

In July this yr, I purchased another Deut. lotteae clump from the same supplier...not sure if it was from the same batch as my original...but could well have been. Here's a pic's of my original, with the July purchase in front...looks like it's been grown hard for a few years.

Please register or login

I grow them just like dyckia, so a rich well drained mix, plenty of sun, plenty of water, and plenty of feeding in the summer.

Andy, I'd never heard of Deut. scapigera before, sounds like a very interesting member of the group! Looking forward to seeing more pic's of these clumping deuts.
BTW, any tricks to get these guys to flower? None of mine have as yet...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 22:26:37 by Devo » Logged

Please register or login
sdandy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 23:15:53 »

Not that I know of.  They seem to bloom whenever they want regardless of season.  Sometimes it will just be one or two, sometimes it will seem like half of the clump will be flowering.  I've had D. lorentz's bloom as small as a 3-4headed clump.  But overall they seem to bloom once they make a good sized clump.  I would think your large clump should be blooming within the year.

Oh, and keep an eye on it.  Sometime they are really sneaky and you don't notice until the flowers are all past and starting to brown...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 23:18:22 by sdandy » Logged

bromnut45

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: FRUIT TREES, ORNAMENTAL TREES ETC
Hobbies: PAINTING, CRAFTS, COOKING

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 13:29:01 »

Hi Andrew,

They grew well since 2008.  Thanks for letting me know how you have been growing it.  I am going to buy another lot next time I visit Genny & John Catlan, hopefully I wont kill it again, lol.

Alfina
Rickta66

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 05:15:05 »

Good post Andrew,

Andrew,

Nice tips on your media and growing conditions, I got a few single  unrooted offsets a couple of years ago - I lost one labelled brevifolia small form, I couldn't get it to root, I tried hormone powder and kept it in a hot house which seemed to keep it alive for about a year but then it fell over without ever striking.

The only clump I've got that is worth showing is this one that I picked up from Cheryl Basic about 6 months ago, she had Deuterocohnia lorentziana on the tag but wasn't convinced that it was correct:

Please register or login

Cheers,

Rick
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:29:07 »

Thats a nice clump Rick. It does have that lorentziana look about it...as lorentziana seems to develop more of a stalk than lotteae. But the only sure way to tell that I know of is that lorentziana has green flowers, whereas lotteae has red.

Shame you lost your brevifolia...mine could well be going the same way...

Please register or login
sdandy

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 05:35:55 »

That is one of the things that kind of bothers me.  For some reason I didn't think petal color was a proper taxonomic tool.  Sort of like a supplemental thing.  But as far as I can tell that is the only real difference between the two.  Hmmm...something to think about and try to look up more info on...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: