Bromeliad Forum
October 20, 2017, 10:39:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Welcome to the Bromeliad Forum, feel free to join in the discussions

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crappy, rainy day...  (Read 1691 times)
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« on: December 15, 2011, 01:38:25 »

Yesterday was a cold, miserable day.  A steady rain almost all day long.  With the weather I lost all motivation to do anything...except sneaking out into the garden when the rain was light enough (or I was getting stir-crazy enough).  I was also on my mission to find my favorite plants for the other post.  Here are some pictures...

1.  Some of my favorite, tough buggers.
You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

2.  I love these Neos!  When they can look like this when growing out in full sun with my agaves and cycads, what else can I ask for? 
Please register or login

3.  My softer-grown U. tuitensis
Please register or login

4.  Momma is beat up, but the babies are moving along (Ae. bracteata)
Please register or login

5.  The T. stricta is going to give a good show this winter
Please register or login

6. T. Mystic Flame
Please register or login

7. First time my T. neglecta have bloomed. (and several clumps are a little behind this one).
Please register or login

8. I got this one as T. jalisco-monticola...but unless those paddles fatten up real fast I assume it is a furphy...
Please register or login

9. T. Hidden Charm
Please register or login

10. I got this clump of T. argentina last year.  Another great show in the works.  When cleaning it, it broke into several smaller clumps.  Probably 75% of the plants are forming their spike right now...
Please register or login

11. Any guesses on this T. fasciculata type?  The leaves always are tight and slightly secund like this.  I would have pulled it out for a better picture, but it rooted into the pot with the Ae. nudicaullis.  Leaves tend to be reddish and the spike is a red enamel color with dark bluish-purple petals.
Please register or login

12.  I love these T. ionanthas.  These are the ones that have the lateral blooms and keep growing.
Please register or login

13.  The biggest one with lateral blooms
Please register or login

14.  Different view...
Please register or login

15.  Again...
Please register or login

16.  Perfect cotton candy pink T. capitata!  I wish it would bloom in the summer when I assume it would look better.
Please register or login

17.  I think this has got to be one of my favorite forms of T. capitata (Peach).  Look how it just glows in the gloomy weather.
Please register or login

Please register or login

19.  Another nice red T. capitata
Please register or login

20.  I love the size of this guy!  No signs of a bloom yet...
Please register or login

21.  I swear I'm not a size queen, but another great, large sized Tillandsia fuchsii 
Please register or login

22.  Look good pretty much year round.
Please register or login

23.  Some Orthos...
Wet
Please register or login

24.  Dry
Please register or login

25.  O. Brittle Star
Please register or login

26.  Labeled as O. lemei, but look at that size!
Please register or login

27.  Lost in a corner, but still doing its job
Please register or login

28.  The Florida D. dawsonii (~5" pot)
Please register or login

29.  D. beateae (10" pot)
Please register or login
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 17:49:26 by sdandy » Logged

ellisonk001

Other Plants I Grow: Cactus, Succulents, Nepenthes
Hobbies: Hiking, Reading

Oahu Hawaii

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 07:00:22 »

Wow, what beautiful pictures!  And the variety of plants is very impressive.

Thanks for sharing!
BobS

Other Plants I Grow: TROPICALS

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:36:19 »

Beautiful plants Andy. Really liked the Mystic Flame and the fasciculata type and your capitatas. Would like to ask you what is your low temp. in winter. I can't get away with growing outside here it's all in the greenhouse now but just curious.

Best

Bob

You can't make a weak man strong by making a strong man weak. Abraham Lincoln
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 13:32:04 »

Andy, thanks for the pics. What is the Orthopyhtum to the right of the Tiger in the first pic? What do you do with O. Brittle Star? I can't decide if I've got it looking as good as it gets or if there is some trick that brings out its best attributes.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Shon

Other Plants I Grow: palms cycads succulents

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 16:02:52 »

Very nice Andy. Really like the variety in your garden.
sdandy

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 17:48:12 »

Thanks guys.  Now you see why it was so hard to try to find 2 favorites?  ...and be glad that I didn't put all of the pictures I took!  It was hard enough paring it down to ~30.  Okay, maybe I don't have any willpower.  How is your collection coming along Shon?

Bob, up where these grow I probably consistently will hit 34-35F at least once a year.  Usually our 'cold' nights will frequently be around 38.  Down in my canyon...that is a different story.  But as I don't have much planted down there other than fruit trees right now, I don't worry about it too much.  Although I am hoping to put a shade cloth down there.  The highest I've seen the frost down there is about 15-20' below the level of most of the garden.  I am starting to like the small Tillandsias like Mystic Flame more.  I started liking the Tills due to color, form, and texture, so the small hybrids like this didn't 'wow' me.  But when they bloom they are great.  And the flowers last for several days.

Nick, I got the little purplish one without a name.  It is the size and habit of O. Starlights, but I think it is too 'sturdy' and too dark.  I just assume it is a nice little hybrid.  I really love the little Orthos (well okay, all of the Orthos).  For O. Brittle Star, I found that it can't take my full sun.  The leaf tips burned back and it always looked stressed in a bad way.  So lightly filtered light with lots of water in the summer.  It stalled out growing this summer and I was worried about it, but then it started growing the pups and spiking.  Maybe I will try a pup in the ground.

The Orthophytums are great for that little succulent garden with all of the rocks.  I have never had an O. gurkenii grow as well as when I put it in the ground.  It is growing much bigger and stronger without any leaf tip burns.  You can see it poking out just to the left shoulder of Neo Tiger.  They fit in well with the small agaves and echeverias without getting too big like Hechtias and Dyckias.

splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 20:40:30 »

Hi everyone,

Andy - I know just how boring  it is when you want to get out in the garden and the rain prevents this as we had about six wet days in a row (and it's supposed to be summer), but I suppose it's got to be better than heat waves. The thing the rain does do though is make the brom's really shine, and when it's possible to find a window between showers, you do get the opportunity to get to great brom shots as you have shown here.

Thanks for sharing them all with us all.

All the best, Nev.
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 21:15:19 »

Hi Andy,

Great pics and beaut plants.  Thanks for the tour!  Just love all those dangling Tills, gotta do that!

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
gonzer

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 00:43:33 »

Beautiful plants Andy. Really liked the Mystic Flame and the fasciculata type and your capitatas. Would like to ask you what is your low temp. in winter. I can't get away with growing outside here it's all in the greenhouse now but just curious.

Best

Bob

Bob, I can't answer for Andy but I've found Tillandsias to be very tolerant of freezing temps. The GREAT FREEZE of Jan. '07 saw it get down in the mid 20's. The only plants at that time that suffered were straminea and sereriana x ionantha. I've been in the mid to low 30's the past few weeks. Besides the outdoor thermometer I like to gauge the temperature by how bad my bananas look. They're a great indicator of freeze.
OK Andy, here's mine. This is a different plant from Paul and not the "normal" one from Pam. This one is much larger in stature with linger leaves.

Please
register or login

and a couple other 'Mystics'.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
sdandy

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 00:56:35 »

Funny you should bring that January '07 event up Gonz...that was when I moved down here.  Fortunately I didn't have any plants to worry about yet!  At the time I was laughing at everyone freaking out about it being cold.  It was much warmer and more comfortable (dry at least!) than Seattle at the time.  I haven't lost anything directly from the cold, only from being wet and slowly melting away from not being happy when cool/cold.

This Mystic Flame is pretty big.  The plant is ~2x as big the other albertiana hybrid group.  It seemed a good bit bigger when I got it from Paul (all of mine came from him...), this generation the pups seem a bit more compact than the original.  I'll try to dig out my pics of my other little guys.

Kerry T.

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: You mean there are other plants besides bromeliads?

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 05:05:13 »

Great show, Andy! Love the light and damp glow you have captured.

For one who didn't think he could do justice to Neos in your area, those carch cultivars are fantastic! Is the Rainbow Carch in pic #2 the raffle prize I gave you?

And is that part of your canyon in background of the beautifully-blooming T. neglecta - pic #7? If so, what a transformation since I was there. Woot!

I love the way you grow your Orthophytums. Thanks for the tips, as I've been struggling with some of mine. Your climate seems to suit them better too. The wet and dry photos show amazing difference in appearance. Both are gorgeous, but I think I prefer the dry look for those scurfy ones.

Agree with Paul about the dangling Tills - like Christmas all year.  OMG - you have sooooooo many now! That ionantha with lateral blooms is a winner. How big can they get?
Can't help re the fasciculata type, but it's a beauty too.

I would never guess it was cold there now by the photos, except for your pink fingers. Ha!

K
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

sdandy

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:32:59 »

Yup, that's the one Kez.  It took it a while to get used to our weather and was pretty homely for a while.  Those are about the best Neos for me...the ones that can deal with the full sun.  Others will do better for me once I am able to build my shade cloth.  Then I'll be able to grow them much better.

The canyon changes quickly once we get our rains.  I was just out doing some grass-pulling duty today.  Going to be a long fight to get it under control.  Not too much progress on the hillside.  Partially terraced so far, but it will be years before it is done and looks good enough to show off...

Yeah, I seem to keep getting more and more Tills (and I love it).  Plus they are filling out and multiplying.  I do need to go through and inventory/count them at some point.  Not sure about those funny ionanthas...the one is pretty good size already and seems to just be getting both wider and longer.  I don't see why they wouldn't just keep growing longer.  The smaller two are at least pupping.

And yes it was cold.  I was chased in wet and shivering a couple of times.  Brrr.  I don't like winter!  Less than a month before I'm down in Paradise again though!

BobS

Other Plants I Grow: TROPICALS

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 14:20:06 »

Thanks Andy and Gonzer. That's pretty nippy. It would be great if I could get away with growing out of doors year round but that wont happen unless climate change really kicks in. We have had it stay below freezing for 15 days in a row with a 15 degree temp and a wind chill at 15 below. As you can see it's out of the question. I set my thermostats at 60 degrees FYI. I guess I kind of baby my plants.
I like the small Tillandsias to. Especially when they start clumping. But it's hard to beat a big fasciculata with a bloom almost as big as the plant. 
Hope you can find a jalisco-monticola. They are a bit cold sensitive though.

Best

Bob

You can't make a weak man strong by making a strong man weak. Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: