Bromeliad Forum
December 11, 2017, 14:18:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new 'Devine Plum' grows fast  (Read 1504 times)
sunny

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: palms and bamboos

« on: December 10, 2011, 23:04:00 »

When Rick posts images of his garden or his new acquisitions, everyone wants to look, because we just love seeing pictures of beautifully grown Alcantareas.  That's the way it was on September 17 when he returned from the Gold Coast Brom Soc Show where he had scored a brand-shiny-new, quite advanced and coloured-up 'Devine Plum' from Robert  Dilling (images at Alc vinicolor x Silver Plum in the Alcantarea topic list, for the few who may not already have seen the pics).

I drooled and drooled and lied when I told Rick that I was only a wee bit jealous.  Rick said contact Robert and say that I had seen his plant purchased at the Gold Coast and mention that I knew that he had paid $60 for it – a sum I thought very reasonable for an advanced specimen of such a stunning new release.

So I did, and my little heart raced when Robert replied that he had more like Rick’s for sale at ‘Rick’s price’.  What Luck! Yahoo!!  However, there was a problem, or maybe a few.  Plants the size that Rick had bought were evidently too big for the boxes Robert uses for delivery of plants sold through his website, alternative delivery costs would be too great Robert advised, and, as I was a retail and not a trade customer, I would not be permitted to visit the nursery to pick up any purchase I wished to make.  What luck?  Boo hoo!!  It looked like Rick would have the bragging rights for quite some time.

What was I to do?  I did what any real man would do.  After several days of despondency, I rolled up my sleeves and I placed an order for the smaller, not yet nearly so pretty plants available via the internet, which arrived promptly thanks to Australia Post on October 6th, delivered by the lovely Christine, my regular courier lady, more accustomed to bringing me heavy boxes of books from Amazon or TheBookDepository.

Here are some pics of my first Devine Plums and the reverse crosses, showing the nine weeks of growth since delivery - each of which, with postage, cost as much as Rick’s plant.  As with almost all new acquisitions, potting mix was removed down to where leaves meet roots and a few leaves stripped to expose fresh basal tissue in order to enhance the likelihood of successful offset production.  The Devine Plums pup, while the reverse crosses haven't yet bothered the scorer.

Photographed freshly unpacked on 6-10-11 (October 6th), two 'Devine Plum' on the right and two of the reverse cross (SP x V) on the left

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login

A 'Devine Plum' from above

Please
register or login

The unnamed reverse cross from above

Please
register or login

The same pair of reverse crosses photographed yesterday, December 10th

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

And the 'Devine Plums' yesterday

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

To finish, images of two of the plants I bought on November 12th at the BSQ's Bromeliad Bonanza at Windsor, an extraordinary marketplace and venue.  It seems that Robert Dilling has stocked every nursery and market seller in the country with his 'Silver Plum' as it seems they are everywhere, but he was at Windsor in person with more massed SPs and 'Devine Plums' than I had seen before.  There was none as stunning as Rick's Gold Coast catch, but I spent a lot, I mean a lot of time walking up and down the rows of Robert's different 'Plums', so much, that strangers began to ask me about the habits and cultural requirements of his plants, and when I heard myself saying things to them like - "It wouldn't matter which you choose, it will be stunning.  But why would you buy only one, why not buy both"? - I began to think Robert should be paying me commission.  I enjoyed my chats with Robert - never mentioned commission - and learned that the 'Devine Plum' reverse crosses had been withdrawn from sale until they grow some more.

The plant in the foreground is a 'Devine Plum' seen above, while the darker plant is a Windsor DP purchase which seemed much more advanced when I first brought it home, but now very similar in size.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

The very END - a relatively squat plant with wide leaves labelled 'Silver Plum', which amongst Robert's other SPs and DPs, all so tall and all very desirable, reminded me of  the girl at the local dance, the one with the coke-bottle glasses, oily hair and sausage roll crumbs at the corners of her mouth.  I managed to ignore her glances until I noticed that she had those cute squiggly lines of colour like receding tide marks in her leaves the way that the DPs had, and that her new growth was glossy, unlike the other SPs.

Please
register or login

Please
register or login

I will maintain a photo record in case the girl with the coke-bottle glasses turns out to be a showgirl.

Cheers

John
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 23:13:01 »

Great score and read John
Premium Advert
MYPALMPARADISE

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: PALMS, CYCADS, SUCCULENTS, CACTUS, AND ORCHIDS
Hobbies: FISHING

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:36:30 »

Very nice! I wish I could find those in the USA.

Jeff
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

Scottinsandiego

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Bananas, veg, ginger, heliconia
Hobbies: Travel !

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:19 »

I am going to keep an eye out for these Alcantarea hybrids here in San Diego.  But not patiently.
Wal

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Palms
Hobbies: Music

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 00:38:23 »

I saw a large specimen of Devine Plum yesterday at a nursery, oh boy, what a beauty, fully red she was, but too many $$$ for this little duck to acquire and no small ones of course. Any chance of another follow up pic John or is this too early ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: