Bromeliad Forum
December 14, 2017, 10:55:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Christmas Pass The Brom Parcel"  (Read 3303 times)
bromnut45

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: FRUIT TREES, ORNAMENTAL TREES ETC
Hobbies: PAINTING, CRAFTS, COOKING

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 13:16:33 »

My favorite brom at the moment, which is flowering is Bromelia Humilis but I think it maybe sold to me with the incorrect tag.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login
Springer99

Australia Australia

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 22:34:53 »

Hi Everyone and yes what a great idea.  I have been reading a long and drooling, lol, but really wasn't sure what to put up. I think I have it worked out now Smiley 

I think I have only added a photo in here once, so here goes and I hope I get it right.

The first one has always been a favourite of mine and was not exactly easy to get but well worth it.  Sadly.... with our colder than usual tropical winter, it made her flower as a pup still, so the shape and size is not what it should be, but I have high hopes for a pup or two that I can grow to full maturity.  Neoregelia Serendipity Girl.  I was amazed at how much she flushed for flowering.

Please
register or login

And my second favourite would... was a toss up between two Vrieseas.  The way i decided was that one is just a young pup still and hasn't coloured up yet... so I went with the other one... Vriesea Forrest.

Please
register or login

I would love some beautiful NZ Vrieseas from over the Tasman, lol, oh and Shane.... I can't wait to add a Neo Rainbow and Silver to my collection.  They are the top of my wishlist at the moment.  My Macho nearly won over Serendipity Girl for Fav Neo, but ... not quite...  Wink

Merry Christmas everyone, love this thread Cheesy
Tash
PS would love to know how to put the full size image into the post like most of you have done instead of having to click on the image to enlarge.
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 01:14:48 »

Well, it has just been too tough.  How can I select just two?  Going through my pictures and walking around my garden I have been amazed at all of the awesome plants...whether they are special because they are unique, because of where they came from, or for their rarity.  It really reminded me how lucky I am to have met so many great people.  Some fairly 'boring' plants I wouldn't trade for the next new thing.  Too hard to quantify and calculate!  But forcing myself, I would have to limit myself to a Hechtia and a Tillandsia.  But which ones!?!  

I just keep coming back to Hechtia Lynn.  It was my first Hechtia.  It came from a the woman who was the one to convince me to join the local club.  She was the absolute archetype plant person: friendly, generous, and as wonderful as anyone could be.  It didn't come directly to me, but after Lynn had passed from cancer (which she had fought for many years--and I never would have guessed), a good friend of hers acquired much of her collection and wanted to give me this Hechtia.   At the time it looked to be just any average Hechtia, but it very quickly blossomed into a stunning plant.  It is wonderful going out in my garden and having this plant remind me of Lynn every time I see it.

Here she is just getting her winter color.
Please register or login

Now for the Tillandsia, where do I begin?  There are really big ones, really small ones, oddballs, standbys, sentimental ones.  I love collecting variable species (capitata, ionantha, usneoides, fasciculata, etc).  I love stoloniferous plants and viviparous plants...I'll kick the can down the road on this one and keep trying to think which Tillandsia is my favorite...

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 01:33:28 »

Graeme this post is showing off some exceptional plants, no sign of totara pete yet ? and its time for other NZ lurkers to come out of the wood work !.
The variegated plant we showed is Neo 'Churrubs Blush', it loves the malaysian climate and has not only turned into a favourite for us but all the relatives there that have got pups. Thinking of Malaysia, Han where are you ?
Kerry T.

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: You mean there are other plants besides bromeliads?

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 02:09:20 »

What a great Christmas show! Sooo many beautiful broms - no wonder we love them so. I think Andy's Hechtia wins the trophy for sentimental value and best story, and a beauty too.

LOL Lisa - you may make a fuss of Ae. DeLeon. 'Tis a champ for sure.
And Nick - it was you who first made me aware of this great chantinii cultivar back on GardenWeb. You nicknamed it 'Skeletor' - an apt name.
Japie - I hear you re seed, fingers crossed.  Wink Paul and Mitch - love your stripies too.

And yes, my mystery Till is yunckeri. Good call Lisa, and Pedro - mine came from you a few years back.

Bring on more faves please.
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 19:08:53 »

Okay, the sun is back today and H. Lynn is shining...

Please register or login

But, I have found what I will list as my other favorite.  Again, this was a very, very difficult task!  But when walking around this morning I discovered this little surprise!

Please register or login

Please register or login

It looks to have enough stripes all around to pass them on.  It is about full size now so it should bloom and start pupping next year.  Now just the task of getting it to stabilize on something nice.  It is a slow species and isn't free with the pups, so it will take some doing.  And nope, not going to give you any more information about it than that!  Sorry!
-andy

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: