Bromeliad Forum
December 14, 2017, 10:47:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Christmas Pass The Brom Parcel"  (Read 3302 times)

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 04:32:50 »

I'm going with two species plants. They are both easy (for me) to grow and are real eye catchers. Too bad I probably can't cross them.

Edmundoa lendenii
You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login

Werauhia kupperiana
Please register or login

Kerry, I love the 'Deleon'. Looks just like the one I have.

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
Avane

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Hibiscus, Orchids, Cycads, Cliveas . . .
Hobbies: Painting, cooking, sewing . . .

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 07:55:22 »

Paul and Kerry, I just lo-o-o-o-ove your dark stripy ones!  Chantinii's do not seem to like my climate.  But what if I grow them from seed? Would they not be better acclimatised?  So if any of you get some seeds eventually from those guys, think of me!

Gonzer, without spoiling your fun to much, too soon, would it be helpful to ponder the ID of your first  fuzzball over a cup of tea?

Japie

Please register or login
Lisa
Global Moderator

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 09:07:22 »

Hey, way to make an entrance, Kerry!  Can I make a fuss about that chantinii?  That is about the best looking clone I've seen of that species, and a real champ to have survived the Gas of Doom. 

Could your second one be T. yunckeri?

As for Gonzer's Tillies, the first one could be ehlersiana or seleriana or some other shuffling of the same letters....?   The second is a bird, it's a plane, faster than a speeding bullet....... okay, I have no idea.  Thumbs up on the Bill too!   

Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

pedro

Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:52 »

A heck of a lot of very lovely broms!

Gonz, how about a furry Showtime and another bulbosa hybrid, maybe x ionantha - ex Paul 3??

Like the Red Opal, Bruce, and all the other Sharky plants, but your Alc White & Yellow Stars are Heavenly!
Please
register or login

What else?? I have more pics of Tills than any other genus so it'll have to be a Till. I love yuckeri too, Kerry, a real Christmas Tillandsia - always in bloom to adorn the house this time of year, but my choice is orange!
Please
register or login

Cheers, Pedro
gonzer

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 13:26:40 »

Pete, I've gotta say, T. ericii in bloom is a knockout!
Lisa, you're goooood; ehlersiana x bulbosa. The second is ferreyrae x bulbosa. The strange thing is that I have a devil of a time with the plain bulbosa species.
Japie, tea for two? Quite so, quite so.

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 19:23:50 »

They keep coming, great pics guys!

Paul, thanks for the heads up on Great White. For some reason I had this picture in my head of it being much greener in colour with a flatter rosette. Guess that comes from staring and drooling and dreaming at Uncle D's and other's pics of it, and not owning the beast myself !   Tongue

JAGA - Your "C.B" neo has me stumped completely. You say it's "one of yours" (meaning one you've registered or named I assume?) but can't see anything close on the BCR under your name ?..Might need another clue or two.  Huh

For those trying to guess my mystery johannis, it's certainly not burle-marxii or cruenta JAGA, neither 'Fairchild', Kerry....Here's a big clue...it has "Pink" in it's name....that shouldn't be too hard to find now.

Where are you Mitche, Nev, Pink Broms, Sue, Andy, Dooley, Roland, Dennis, Tomas and others ?....don't be shy it's the FESTIVE SEASON...it's beer o'clock here in only 8.35 hours !!  Grin

cheers, Graeme
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:17:00 by graykiwi » Logged
Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 19:48:10 »

Based on your clues, Graeme, I'm guessing your Neo. is Exotica Pink Panther.  That's a new one on me.  If, as the registry states, the original was grown from imported seed, I'd still need to be convinced it's not a hybrid.  N. johannis doesn't usually self seed.  I'd be interested to see what color the petals are. 

Please register or login
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 20:01:23 »

Graeme, cb is not our creation at all, sorry to mislead- it's a commonly found neo here in NZ but it looks quite different.
Mitche

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti, Succulents, Palms, Cycads
Hobbies: Tennis

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 20:34:55 »

MERRY XMAS ALL! Just 2 plants is a real challenge. I just spy a plant in flattering light conditions and bang I've got a new favorite! Anyway taking a more considered approach I'd have to choose plants that have posed a cultural challenge considering our cooler climate conditions. So..
1.Aechmea fatsoii, zebrina
Please
register or login
2.'Nipples' Navia arida

Please
register or login
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 21:35:41 »

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on a great idea Graeme, it's certainly brought out some great pic's. It reminds me of a post on the (original) garden Forums some years back which I think was started by ? Japie, when everyone was at one of the conferences. So those of us that were left at home had our own little conference and everyone posted some pic's; well it went on and on and what a great and varied show of pic's there were.

I'm almost reluctant to post any pic's of my plants here after seeing all the beauties already shown, but here goes anyway with two of my own seedlings. The first one (and I'm the first to admit) is pretty "daggy", but it was very slow to colour up and was chucked in the garden with some other culls to fill a space (hence the wind damage) but I do like the dark markings.

concentrica x [Charm x Cracker Jack]

Please
register or login

This one is from a crossing of what was originally thought to be a sport from Painted Lady but after a long forum discussion it was suggested that it was probably a hybrid between Painted Lady and something else ? It was fertilized with Neo Ferny Grove pollen.

Please
register or login

All the best, Nev.

graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 05:28:02 »

Hi Lisa, YES...you are correct with 'Exotica Pink Panther', well done. From what I understand, the rest of the grex Andrew Steens grew out resembled normal johannis plants, hence his special registration. It certainly looks identical in form, spines etc to the 'De Rolf' I have in the garden down a bit. I have always wondered if it was maybe a hybrid also, but like I said, first time flowering for me....so yes I will certainly be checking the flowers against DR's flower's when they open soon too.

Still mulling on "CB" Jaga, that's bugging me a little now !....PS: You can expect a wee courier bag to arrive in Arkle's later this week.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

brombirdie

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Tropical plants
Hobbies: reading

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 07:53:53 »

What a great idea Graeme. Thanks for all the beautiful photos everyone. Plenty of ideas for my Christmas wish list. Here are my 2 current favourites though it changes from day to day.
Please
register or login
Love this one for the yellow flower and splotchy foliage.
Please
register or login
This one always looks so clean and neat.
Merry Christmas
Jen
Lisa
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:28 »

From what I understand, the rest of the grex Andrew Steens grew out resembled normal johannis plants, hence his special registration.

That bit of information right there tips the scales heavily in favor of hybrid, Graeme.  

Please register or login
Bromaholic

Australia Australia

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 08:02:36 »

Great idea, I'll play...

My first current (and forever I think) love is Neo. Rainbow Carcharodon; just because I can sometimes work out why it is called 'rainbow' and sometimes I am stumped. But I always love this plant for its colour, form, toughness and shape.

Please register or login

And my other fav at the moment is..Neo Jaline. Why? Well ever since I saw a pic Japie posted way back in 20xx something, I was enamoured with its colour mix. It now also reminds me of how I achieved something. I imported 'Jaline' and a few others into Oz, and am proud of this - andthrilled with the plants I now have.

Please register or login

Merry Xmas.
Premium Advert
Rickta66

Australia Australia

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 08:46:21 »

Nice topic Graeme,

I'd be glad to get any of those Broms for Xmas.

A couple of my favourites:

Alc. Landsendt Blue Grey x Tarawera (not its best colouring but not too bad for summer)

Please register or login

Ae. Campfire - one of Rob Smythe's nice Aechmea hybrids

Please register or login

I hope Santa is kind to all my Brom friends.

Cheers,

Rick

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: