Bromeliad Forum
December 15, 2017, 07:34:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Any Admin problems, email me at admin@cliviaforum.co.za

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Christmas Pass The Brom Parcel"  (Read 3305 times)
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« on: December 10, 2011, 06:45:22 »

Hi Everyone,

I was in the garden today selecting a boot-load of pups for a friend and enjoying all the summer colour and the flowering of many different genera. A few of my favouries caught my eye (as they inevitably do) so I grabbed the camera and afterwards had a wee thought...."lets all have some fun and enjoy the festive season with an online pass-the-parcel eye-candy bonanza" !!.....

So....welcome to the innaugural "Christmas Pass The Brom Parcel"!!

Here are the rules:

1. Post a pic of your personal FAVOURITE bromeliad(s) you possess RIGHT NOW
2. Maximum of TWO plants only per person.
3. To make it more fun, your choice whether you name them or not and get others guessing / drooling ;-)
4. You must also include a wee note or story for each as to WHY they are your favourite(s)
5. Comments on posts are ONLY allowed by those who have posted a pic prior...otherwise you might get a bit of ribbing and will be unlikley to recieve any Christmas pud or a visit from Santa !...This rule is to encourage plenty of festive participation....so get snapping and join in !

...Enjoy!!....and let's see some fantabulous festive broms !

...Here's mine to start off...

Neo. 'Yin'
You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

I picked 'Yin' because of it's festive colour and I just love the glossy blush colour 'Yin' and 'Yang' have at flowering over the white variegated bits. This plant is also a favourite of mine because not long after I got her as a young pup a few years back, I accidently left her outside one cold night in winter and she got NUKED. So bad it virtually had zero leaves left !...I had to take her to triage, where I performed miracle surgery...and now look at her....*sigh*....just shows how tough these beasts are, eh ?.....bless her shark father.

Neo. ?
Please
register or login

Have a guess at this one !...I quite waited a while to get hold of this beauty, as IMO, she is one of the best forms of a certian Neo species around. This is the first time I've got to enjoy her colour at flowering "in the flesh", so I'm rapt - right in the festive season !...Also her flowers will be put to some good use, hence she is my second selection.

Let's see plenty more cool broms peoples !..and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!

Cheers,
Graeme
Avane

South Africa South Africa

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Hibiscus, Orchids, Cycads, Cliveas . . .
Hobbies: Painting, cooking, sewing . . .

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 20:23:47 »

Hi Graeme

Yin is also one of my favorites.  I always make sure that I have one in the garden that is grown hard - very little food and plenty of light so I can get that pale yellow/green leaves with a pink flush.  And also one that was grown with enough food to form a nice, large plant and planted in the shade to stay that clean green and white with only some cup colour when it flowers.

Is your second one Rosy Morn?  I do not have it, so it is a wild guess!

And here's my all time favourite, Neo Groucho.  I got it many years ago when it was still sold under the label, Tiger Cub a-m.  I paid an arm and a leg for a small pup but it was an excellent investment.  It still has not flowered but from a young age, it is producing pups.  It has its 10th pup on now!

Neo Groucho:
Please register or login

At the moment, this one is another favorite.  It is difficult to walk past it without being stopped in your tracks!  And watching the play of sunlight through the leaves above, gives you a different look almost every minute.  This is only the second time that I have one of them in flower. 

Aech pectinata:
Please register or login

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Japie

Please register or login
Premium Advert
Kentia_Grove (Craig)

Other Plants I Grow: clivia, cycads, succulents, aloes

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 21:19:28 »

Great idea for a new topic Graeme. Good choice there with Neo. Yin, a lovely plant. I am also going with Japie's guess of Neo Rosy Morn as your second favourite. I have just received a pup and can't wait for it to grow and colour.

Japie, your Neo groucho is outstanding. It is obviously very happy where it is by growing and growing without flowering and giving you such reward with pups. I am glad you showed Aechmea pectinata as your other favourite as I may have posted it as one of my favourites as well. Your plant has beautiful colour.

Now for my 2 favourites, battled to choose just 2 lol -

Aechmea samurai

Please
register or login

I think the markings on this plant speak for itself as to why it is a favourite. The combination of vertical and horizontal markings make it a winner. It is also versatile, grown in a pot or mounted on a tree. Can grow from semi-shade to full sun. I prefer growing my plants very hard.

Neoregelia Donna

Please
register or login

For it's striking colouration. Probably one of the most flourescent pinks.

I look forward to seeing photo's from the other members. I wish everyone a Merry Xmas and a bromelicious New year ahead.

Craig.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 21:34:22 »

Pass the brom parcel for Christmas, good idea Graeme, I like it!

Nice recovery on your Yin, it’s looking great. And your second plant…hmmm…my first thought was Rosy Morn, but on closer inspection, & your “species” comment, I’d guess it’s a form of johannis?

Japie, that’s one of the best pic’s I’ve seen of pectinata…wow! Your Groucho is a stand out!!! I think I’ll be waiting until Christmas 2013 before I can get one of those  Cry

Nice plants Craig! Not sure I’ve seen Donna in NZ? And your Samurai is stunning.

My current favourite brom was an easy pick. Ever since I started collecting broms, I’ve had a passion for the radial red group of neo’s. It has always bugged me that the radial reds are lumped into the group of “variegated” neo’s. While the variegated tag is probably technically correct, I like to keep the white variegated neo’s in a separate group. They are quite different markings, & they behave very differently when used in hybridising.
When I started playing around with variegated neo’s, one of my goals was to combine the red striation of the radial red type neo’s with the white variegation in variegated neo’s.  It’s taken a few years, but I’ve managed to do it, and this one currently top’s the list of my favourite varistriates…and it has the Christmas colours as well  Grin

Please register or login

To come up with a 2nd fav’ was hard, too hard in fact, so I had to bend the rules a bit… Tongue
I couldn’t select a 2nd fav’ plant, so I selected my current fav “grex”. These seedlings have great potential, so I’m excited to see how they will turn out. They’re a complex mix, with a touch of carolinae in the mix for variegation, along with Painted Lady, Rafa, and Royal Hawaiian, plus a couple of doses of Tiger for good measure. It’s taken some 4 yrs to get them to this stage, & probably at least another couple of years before I’ll really see how they turn out, so hopefully I’ll be able to post the pick of the grex for Christmas 2013, (so long as they’ve not all been culled).

Please register or login

Merry Christmas everyone.

Andrew,

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 22:06:14 by Devo » Logged

Please register or login
Bruce

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Heliconia Gingers Marantaceae

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 22:50:33 »

Hi Everyone

Japie that pectinata is fantastic amazing colour!.
Here are two I had at hand. First is Red Opal from the Skotak stable via Pedro.
Please
register or login

I have this fasiculata Hondurensis coming into spike just in time for christmas. Lots of my Tills are budding but will be flowering in the coming month or two.
Please
register or login

Merry Christmas Everyone
Avane

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Hibiscus, Orchids, Cycads, Cliveas . . .
Hobbies: Painting, cooking, sewing . . .

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 22:57:00 »

Craig, your Samurai looks stunning! I wish I could grow it so well.  My first one died and the second one I got, is still hanging in there - just surviving, not thriving!  I just do not have any success with any chantinii's.  I think our Winters are just too cold and wet for their liking.  I recently got a pup of Donna and hopefully some day soon, it will look as stunning as yours.

Andrew, I also thought of a  kind of johannis for Graeme's pink giant, but I think the inflo is too small for a johannis, more cruenta like.  And your varistriated one is a real show-stopper!  But there's very little green in there! It looks like it is still attached to the mother, will it survive on its own?  I really do hope so!!  And I will wait in anticipation to see those seedlings grow up.

Bruce, I like your Red Opal!

Japie

Please register or login
Lisa
Global Moderator

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: gingers, Heliconia

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:48:08 »

Great selections so far! 

I'm kind of stumped on your second Neo. too, Graeme.  Like the others I was thinking hybrid until you said species, and "colour at flowering" implies that it's not that color the rest of the time.  The inflorescence and wide open center says johannis to me, but the pink coloration doesn't.  The only other species that comes to mind is cathcartii, but in mine the cup colors up pink but not the rest of the foliage. 

As for choosing just two favorites, that's virtually impossible.  I had thought originally to exclude my own hybrids, but soon realized that would be dishonest.  I'm always most interested in whatever it is I'm working on at the moment.  I took lots of pictures and couldn't decide which to show, so I finally opted to go with logic.  This is Neo. Punahele, which in Hawaiian means "favorite". 

Please register or login

Like Andrew, however, my real favorite thing is always watching the latest crop of seedlings as they develop.  There's nothing that makes me happier than when one seedling stands out of the pack early on and says "choose me!"  That makes my job so much easier!  I did a lot of crosses last year combining zonation with variegation, but this was the first one to show me something.   Although I'm starting to see a lot more of them popping up now in other grexes, this is still the one that catches my eye every time.  It's [(cxc) x HL] x Opal Leopard.

Please register or login 

Please register or login
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 06:57:09 »

Hi everyone,

Graeme, great idea! And what a beaut selection of plants so far.  Everyone, stunning plants!

I don't have any of my own crosses far enough along to think about but I can just admire everyone else's and daydream.  In the meantime:

This one has occupied 50% of my top two ever since I bought the original plant several years ago.  I'm not sure what clone it is, possibly 'Black Ice' although I've also seen that name used for other dark chantiniis, but whatever it is, I can never get over that ridiculously over-the-top striping no matter how many times I look at it:
Please register or login

My second one is more recent and has been settling in since I got it from Bruce back in June.  A few weeks ago, after several months work getting the front yard sorted and some summer midday shade in place after loosing my big tree, I finally managed to get it into the spot that I had planned for it all those months ago.  I wanted a centrepiece for this bit of garden and I'm really happy with the result.  Neo. 'Great White' - and still a little fella:
Please register or login

Merry Christmas everyone!

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:13:57 »

HI ALL , Graeme we were just thinking that it would be good to do a xmas post and clicked on the site and found you had already fired this up, good on ya!! This is a hard ask and decided to go round and take pics of what we thought looked good then looked them over to find the best 2, so hear goes. The first is a Neo with the red + green theme and we will let you guess this one, And it is ours for those that may speculate but alas it does not reside in our NewZeand garden but is one of the results that we exported to our Malaysian garden.

Please
register or login

We thought it only fear we picked one from each garden so this is the NZ one, A vreisea from Andrew Maloy, named  'Matai Spray' along the white theme, this one has been very hard to grow and dosnt like the cold, but is definately one of our favourites.

Please
register or login

Love all the plants put up so far and a very merry xmas to all
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:10:13 »

We'll guess I'll be the first "qualified commenter" then!...BRILLIANT guys is all I can say, glad you all like the idea and were quick to show your hands.

Firstly, it appears my mystery Neo species has stumped a few...I'll drag you out a little longer and let you do some homework as part of the fun !. ..hehe...Here's a coupla clues though...Definitely a species, not Rosy Morn Japie and Conrad...Devo and Lisa are on the money with johannis.....but.....what's her registered name Huh

Too many HOT plants to go through them all, but I do love Groucho, Red Opal and Paul's chantinii is just mind blowing...is someone gonna name that clone 'Zebra' or what Huh!!!...Really like your fave seedling grexes too Devo and Lisa...I'm sure some goodies will come from those...expescially like the large pinky, bottom right of your first pic Lisa.

Paul, is that really 'Great White' ?...looks a lot more like a gigas to me ?...Have you let your sharks out of their tanks and got them mixed up ? ;-)

Keep 'em coming folks...we need more on da bus !

Cheers,
Graeme

graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 10:14:00 »

PS: JAGA, forgot to add...your mystery Neo isn't that one you named 'Min Choo' is it ?
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:35:09 »

Hi Graeme,

Glad you like 'em.  Yep, 'Great White' is one of those aff. gigas critters, ie maybe but possibly not quite gigas - depending I guess on how broad you make the definition of gigas.  UD has a bit of a write-up of it in the BCR.  It is a bigger, toothier, more orange-coloured plant in strong light than the smaller, less toothy pink one that I understand (maybe incorrectly) to be the original type gigas.  Pedro has some seedlings of a gigas from the type location, so it will be interesting to see how they compare as they get bigger.

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
jaga

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 20:23:49 »

Sorry Graeme 'Minchoo' is wrong, its a small variegate here and only has 1 row of leaves that often 'novars', it was one of the first plants we got and has the initials C.B.,
your specie Im having trouble with, thought it may have been Burle marxii but now that you have given some info Im thinking cruenta ??
gonzer

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Great Pyrenees doggie flowers
Hobbies: rock 'n roll music, surfing, eating fine cuisine

Gnarly dude!

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 23:45:34 »

Since Tillandsia collectors are a breed apart it only goes that we get to have three photos; 2 Tillandsias and one "normal" plant.

So, without further ado..Bill. 'Strawberry Creme'

Please
register or login

T. you gotta guess

Please
register or login

T. you gotta guess

Please
register or login

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:29:54 by gonzer » Logged

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE ARE SOLELY MY OWN BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND NOT THE MANAGEMENT'S
Premium Advert
Kerry T.

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: You mean there are other plants besides bromeliads?

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 02:35:16 »

Hey friends! Okay I'm back, but please don't make a fuss.  Kiss

I couldn't resist jumping in on this one. Congrats Graeme - you've dragged me out of lurkerdom.

My two current faves.

Aechmea 'DeLeon' - cv. of chantinii. This is an original import from my US trip last year. I thought it wouldn't make it through the mandatory rigors...but look at it now!

Please register or login

And WTFAI? Flowers yet to form. This has been growing in a tibouchina tree for a few years. Finally it is in flower spike and the colour is deepening as it develops. I love viewing it from my front verandah.

Please register or login

Loving all these Christmas favourites - too many to single out, 'cause they're all gorgeous!

Gonz - no idea what those little fuzzballs are.

Graeme - your mystery Neo looks like the Antipodean furphy 'Fairchild' - not the real Macoy, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:48:02 by Kerry T. » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: