Bromeliad Forum
December 16, 2017, 21:28:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoh lot of mystery  (Read 1971 times)
sdandy

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Awesome stuff.

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 00:11:49 »

Okay, good to hear Pedro.  For some reason when I looked at the Hoh. b-m I just assumed they would resent our cool/cold, wet winters.  So it will be just the usual acclimatization from the Florida climate to ours and then it should be good.  Plants I get from Florida always seem to pout for a year or so for me.  I think most of the Bromelioideae like the humidity there better than our arid air...but our terrestrials and gray Tillies love it here, so I can't really complain. 

paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:08 »

Hi Pedro,

Even full of food they still look great!  Good luck with the import.

By the way, what is that "Summer" word?  I'm now going to get a third round of V. o. gruberi flowering this "Summernot".  First round was all the mature plants triggered by normal winter, with flowering now nearly finished. Second round has spikes about to emerge on a bunch of the half-grown plants triggered by the second winter that we had in spring.  And now, last night while headtorching my way around the garden, I've noticed spikes just starting down deep in some of the small pups following the recent cold spell.  So, it's not just me that is confused!

Cheers, Paul 

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
Devo

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 06:42:20 »

Great to see these hohenbergia pic's  Shocked

Andy your plant is stunning, good colouring & those teeth add real character!

We've got Hoh. b-m here. A few have been grown on from seed, & judging by Pedro's pic's of b-m we've got the standard form, but unfortunately ours have proved to be quiet cold sensitive in the Auckland climate. I lost 2 that I had growing outside, whereas 2 I kept in the plastic house came thru' the winter OK.

Here's a pic of one of them...still a baby...but should put on some good growth this summer. I think its now due for a good fed  Tongue

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71503467@N07/6475397065/

You are not allowed to view images.
Please register or login
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

sdandy

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 08:03:39 »

The first flower FINALLY opened!  I wasn't expecting a purple little beauty like this, but sure looks nice.  Now to see if I can get it to self-pollinate and see what else is in bloom.  Hmmm, Ae. fosteriana might be an interesting plant with its pendulous spike and interesting foliage...

But the spike was pretty much full sized back in December and just now flowered!  And the rachis and paddles colored up as well.
Please register or login

Please register or login

paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 09:45:19 »

Hi Andy,

Very neat.  That little purple flower and the woolly inflo make a great subject.  I'd love to learn your trick with those hand-held macro shots - sharp focus with very little depth of field to work with - must have hands a lot steadier than mine!

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
sdandy

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 21:57:23 »

Thanks, but I can't take much credit for it Paul.  It is my old, beat-up Canon.  It is on its last legs and I am looking for a replacement, but I can't find anything that produces good pictures like this one.  Really frustrating!  Even different Canon models are hit and miss.  This one has trouble opening and closing and the display screen is so dusty/dirty (on the inside) that I can't really even see when I am taking pictures.  I am going to try to take it to a shop and see if they can clean it and keep it working.  I'm not sure how many more trips through dry and dusty Mexico it can take!

Other Plants I Grow: There are other plants?

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 19:50:46 »

A few years ago I put all kinds of pollen on my H. edmundoi and got nothing for it. The thing flowered most every day for 6 months so I had plenty of opportunities but I never got one past the goalie. Good luck with your efforts.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:35:29 by 378 » Logged

“If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist”, Enrico Fermi
sdandy

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 01:02:55 »

Thanks Nick, I'll keep that in mind (and not get my hopes up).  The flowers sure are tiny enough that it looks like it should be a fun adventure...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: