Bromeliad Forum
October 20, 2017, 10:38:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Invite a friend, by clicking on the Invite button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring colour changes in Brisbane  (Read 1139 times)
sunny

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: palms and bamboos

« on: November 30, 2011, 01:26:21 »

The older suburbs of Brisbane change colour in spring with the flowering of our big old Jacarandas and Poincianas, but brom growers are doubly fortunate with the changes that the different seasons bring to many of our broms.  Here are some "then and now" images of Alcantarea imperialis var purpurea I introduced in September, still with their red winter livery, and some of their sisters who I suspect have Alc. vinicolor as the pollen parent, possibly making them an accidental Aussie remake of the glorious NZ cross Tarawera.

Photographed in early September, two Alc. imperialis var purpurea that I bought as "type specimens" of plants in a commercial grower's crop in which the glossy red leafed plants were found.

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

The same plants yesterday.  Brisbane is much, much hotter and the plants have been moved so as to avoid the midday sun they enjoyed through winter.

Please
register or login

Photographed in early September, the glossy red forms were overwintered in as much sun as I could find for them, but had just begun to produce predominantly green new growth.

Please
register or login

The same plants yesterday in the relative safety of the shade house where they have been since just after some suburbs were struck by severe hail storms around two months ago.  They get great light but now all new growth is a glorious glossy green.

Please
register or login

I know many broms grow fast and fat in Brisbane's summer heat and humidity, but more than ever I am looking forward to the passing of summer and the return of the cooler weather and the hot colour to my red Alcantareas. 

All the best,

John

paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:15:30 »

Hi John,

They sure do seem to like the cooler weather to colour up.  Just love all those red fellas.

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
splinter1804

Australia Australia

Hobbies: I belong to the Illawarra Bromeliad Society as well as the Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society and we restore and operate old 2' gauge steam and diesel locomotives and associated rolling stock

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 21:47:34 »

Hi John,

Beautiful plants and the colour change with the seasons is very interesting to see in picture form.

Thank's for sharing, all the best, Nev.
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Matt15

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:11:35 »

John they look great, thanks for sharing!

Please register or login
sunny

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: palms and bamboos

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 01:50:19 »

Thanks Paul, Nev and Matt for dropping by and for your comments.

I am pretty sure that if Australian comedian and football commentator H.G.Nelson was an Alcantarea grower, he would amend his sporting commentary catchphrase of "Too much sport is never enough" to "Too much red is never enough."

I can't imagine anyone I would want as a friend not loving red Alcs.  I know if I ever met one, I would quickly tell them to go stand in the naughty corner of the shade house, until they had come to their senses or Tillandsias had begun to germinate on them.  Or maybe they would benefit more from the HG exhortation he uses on radio and TV when a serious mistake has been made or re-education is required - "Go to the mirrored room, pull down your pants, and take a good long look at yourself"!

Which reminds me, I am going to change my Christmas wish list to include some viable Alc Red Ensign and Alc Tarawera (does anyone have an Alc turgida?) seed.  (I really have tried to be good Santa.)

Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season,

John
Wal

Australia Australia

Other Plants I Grow: Palms
Hobbies: Music

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 14:32:17 »

Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying they go red in winter sun and green in summer sun ?

I'm confused... Huh
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 22:46:57 »

Wal, you wait and see when you plant yours out. That's exactly what they do. Someone like Paul might be able to give a better explanation.

Nice Alcans John
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 01:48:47 »

Hi Wal,

Yep, as Brod and John say, that sure is what they do and they look fantastic.  It seems to be the combination of cool temperatures and bright full sun that really sets them off.

Hey John, if you're reading this, how about some update pics?  They should be colouring up nicely again around now.

Cheers, Paul

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
Scottinsandiego

United States United States

Other Plants I Grow: Bananas, veg, ginger, heliconia
Hobbies: Travel !

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 17:33:15 »

I hope that those Brisbane Alcantareas keep their red in September while I'm traveling through Brisbane and other parts of Queensland!
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 00:11:50 »

Paul, I don't know how Sydney is going but Brisbane is having a wetter than normal winter and mine don't seem to be colouring up as well as last year. Mind you, last winter was a real drought. But there is still another month of winter so we'll see what happens.

Hopefully there will be some red for you Scott when you come.
paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:33 »

Hi Brod,

Same down here.  We've been getting a couple of weeks of bright sun with colours building nicely, alternating with a couple of weeks of cloud and rain - and colours going away again.  August-September are normally pretty dry down here so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a lot more sun before the temperatures start warming up too much.

I hope you get the same, 'cause I'm looking forward to seeing some nice red Alcs up your way in the first weekend in September!

Cheers, Paul

No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Donate to the Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: