Bromeliad Forum
October 20, 2017, 10:33:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

News: Change your Profile, Photo etc by clicking on the Profile button above

Home   Help Forum Rules Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcantarea 'Red Ensign'  (Read 9141 times)
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Palms, Succulents, Agave, Yucca
Hobbies: Fishing, Landscaping, Reading, Cooking, Sports

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 10:51:52 »

One like this maybe Mitche ?...starting a spike now...I ain't got no Alc's flowering for it to party with doh !  Huh

You are not allowed to view images.
Please
register or login

Please
register or login
Mitche

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti, Succulents, Palms, Cycads
Hobbies: Tennis

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 22:44:53 »

Graeme, your vriesea hybrid would be great to cross with an Alcantarea because:
1. It's a complex hybrid and so you'll get a broad range of traits coming out in the offspring ; as compared with a species to species cross where the offspring would be more uniform in appearance.
2. Your plant has nice wide leaves and overall good form to pass on.
3. White in a foliage breeding partner is always good for clarifying colours in the offspring. Simply put, red + white = red, but red + green = muddy red, which is not so appealing.
4. Your vriesea has sharp high definition markings which is what's needed to hopefully overpower the lack of markings on the Alcantarea.
I realise that you don't need a lecture on this sort of theory, Graeme, but I'm just trying to expose these strategies to those with a new interest in foliage hybridisation.
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2011, 01:47:26 »

Just what I thought Mitche   Grin  ...all except for your "colour matching" advice ...I heard from a little bird you're a bit of gun in that area  Wink
No ads for the duration of the month!!!

Please consider a small donation to help cover expenses.
Local donations, click here
Donate to the Forum

paul_t23

Australia Australia

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2011, 06:25:33 »

Hi Mitche, Graeme,

Just love those Alc. x vriesea thoughts.  I got a bee in my bonnet last summer about crossing this foliage:

Please register or login

and these flowers:

Please register or login

from Al. heloisae onto a thumping big clone of Vriesea splendens ('Major') that has pale leaves with very heavy dark banding up to a metre or so high and a tall red-orange flower spike. 

I just can't help myself from wishing for something with the size, number of leaves and sun-hardiness of the Alc, the heavy leaf banding of the Vriesea and a 2 metre tall flower spike with multiple huge red and yellow branches from a combination of the two.  Nothing like having a dream!!!

I put the Alc pollen on half a dozen of the Vriesea flowers on different nights.  Four of them were half eaten the night immediately following pollination by a nocturnal man-eating grasshopper that I couldn't find until almost too late and the remaining two haven't formed any discernable pods. 

The Vriesea spike is drying out and shrivelling at the moment so I'm going to dissect the two remaining, shrivelled up flowers soon on the off-chance that there might be a seed or two tucked away in there even though it doesn't seem likely, but I'm not giving up yet!  Every Vriesea spendens I get from now onwards is going to get some frozen Al. heloisae pollen or some fresh stuff if I can get my hands on it.   

Maybe maybe maybe, one of these years!  I've heard that V. splendens is reluctant to take other Vriesea pollen, let alone from an Alc., so maybe there is no chance of it working.  But .........

Cheers, Paul 

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.  (Douglas Adams)
graykiwi

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2011, 11:48:14 »

Hi Paul...Great thoughts and great plants - love your heloisae...I share your pain, I had almost exact the same thing...I put Alc. 'Red Ensign' (vinicolor x imperialis) pollen onto ten Vr. hieroglyphica flowers last summer...none of them took....As you say, dream away and try again !
bayside bromeliads

Australia Australia

Hobbies: Fishing, Gardening, Camping.

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 13:59:07 »

Hi Andrew, crossed straight Vinicolour with hieroglyphica both ways last summer using over fifteen pods & only got a Dozon seedlings to come up... not sure wether the cross has work... only time will tell Undecided
Brod

Australia Australia

Aechmea lilacinantha

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 02:12:10 »

Love your vision Paul and your persistence....... may it happen for you and send us a pup
Mitche

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Cacti, Succulents, Palms, Cycads
Hobbies: Tennis

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 11:24:57 »

Great to see quite a few persistant hybridists trying for the holy grail ie an XVriecantarea that's sun tough, big, well marked with an impressive flower...not much to ask for is it!
I'm about to harvest seed from Vr. gigantea seideliana x Alc. 'Red Ensign' and Vr. gs X Alc. Imperialis 'Landsendt Blue Grey' but Vr. gs is  a bad selfer so hopefully my seed is not all selfs!!! Also tried to cross the above 2 Alcs onto Vr. splendens, Vr. hieroglyphica, Vr. 'Afterglow', Vr. platynema variegata, Vr. 'Midnight Splendor', Vr. fenestralis, Vr.'Red Chestnut', Vr. 'Vistarella, Till. imperialis, Vr 'Hunua Embers', Vr 'Tango Lace', Vr. 'Carlsbad', Vr. 'Hill 96' and Vr. 'Nova Pink' in Jan - Feb '011 all without success. So you could say I'm giving it a good whack too!
totarapete

New Zealand New Zealand

Other Plants I Grow: Cycads(encephlartos),Palms,Agave,Aloes,etc
Hobbies: hot rods and classic cars

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 12:06:23 »

God loves a tryer Mitche
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: